• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What are you doing with Alexa?

And A/C is better to be scheduled, I believe. The reason being by the time you pull up to the house, it's really too late because it can take a while to catch up - especially in climates like yours and mine.

I just think it would be nice to pull up to the house and have the lights on and garage door up and waiting on me and KNOW that just happened. A close second to that would be to press a single button and have all that happen. I wonder if I can use a Pico to trigger IFTTT or Stringify events...hmmm....

John

My NEST thermostats and my Canary Cameras use my phone to know when I am home or not and change modes automatically. NEST can even tell when I am nearing home after being away and change settings to home mode as I get close to home, shortening the time to the ideal temperature.

I would love to go further with lighting and such, but I am not yet ready to invest in the hardware to do that.

You guys are all automating your houses using Alexa, and I'm using mine as a timer for how long I should leave my eye drops in. :thumbsup:

One thing that you can't do (that I know of) is turn a light on for a set time. For example, "Alexa, turn on the lamp for five minutes". That can't be that hard to integrate.

John

Now with Wemo from Belkin we are able to program rules on lights. security lights on at sunset and off on sunrise
Alexa can take voice commands to turn on and off Wemo.

Now with Wemo from Belkin we are able to program rules on lights. security lights on at sunset and off on sunrise
Alexa can take voice commands to turn on and off Wemo.

I think that’s true with most of the smart lights. Any timed functions can be set in the app for the lights. I’m with Yromj in thinking it’d be useful to do that via voice command. For example I can tell Alexa to “turn off all lights”. But I can’t tell Alexa “turn off all lights in 10 minutes.

Agreed and the smart home and working with the computers one day we will run the self destruct codes. We are having fun with the house as it is however. Ask Alexa, Mirror Mirror on the wall who is the fairest of them all.

Agreed and the smart home and working with the computers one day we will run the self destruct codes. We are having fun with the house as it is however. Ask Alexa, Mirror Mirror on the wall who is the fairest of them all.
She said I had a purdy mouth, whatever that means.

Anyone know if you can use multiple echoes as a sort of intercom?

For Christmas my mother gave me an Amazon Echo and I told my mom when she gave it to me, "This makes me so happy it'll be the first time in decades I'll tell a female to do something and she'll do it". Needless to say both my mother and Michelle both Gibb smacked me across the back of my head.

I've had it just a few days and I have hooked up my iheartradio, XM/Sirius and Pandora (I get XM radio and XM Internet radio free for life) as Michelle bought me a lifetime subscription 15 years ago for 299.00 that thing has more than paid for itself as I've never seen a bill in 15 years. I don't have any Alexa enabled devices and most of my lights are on timers. I do like the question of he day and every day I ask Alexa why my girlfriend is so evil (normally within earshot of her) and Alexa says, she doesn't understand and I respond, neither do I Alexa.

^ that reminds me of the free TiVo subscription I have, that I paid $200 for.

I really don't want to poo-poo on anyone's tech joy and, no, I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat but I'm with Mackwood on this. Why you people would want a 24/7-live microphone that's connected to the internet in your homes just boggles my mind.

I really don't want to poo-poo on anyone's tech joy and, no, I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat but I'm with Mackwood on this. Why you people would want a 24/7-live microphone that's connected to the internet in your homes just boggles my mind.

Because I couldn’t care less if someone at Amazon or Google or the NSA wants to listen. To me the benefit of the devices outweighs the risk of what could happen if some unfortunate soul has to listen to what goes on in my house.
99.8% of which is silence or Big Bang Theory reruns and the other 0.2% is unpleasant bodily noises.

I think the tech is really cool, especially after CEDIA last year (2016) ATM I just can’t get over the mental hurdle of voicing commands to an electronic puck.

I think the tech is really cool, especially after CEDIA last year (2016) ATM I just can’t get over the mental hurdle of voicing commands to an electronic puck.
I don't even use Siri or speech-to-text for the same reason.

Believe it or not I have the same issue. Pretty much the only thing I use Siri for is the occasional text message while driving and checking the time when grabbing the phone isn’t convenient.

And I don’t use Alexa for all it’s capabe of for that reason too. I am using it more often though when it can provide an answer faster than I can look it up like: “what time does Costco close” or “how any teaspoons in a tablespoon”.

Back