• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Revel Performa3

bmwuk

Has anyone had a chance to hear these speakers? I've read great reviews but I don't think there's a brick and mortar that carries them in Houston. I'm probably a year away from buying anything but I have an itch to start listening to speakers

No, I don't think so. Probably others, like I, know nothing of these speakers, so can't offer any constructive input about them. Sorry.

I've generally liked Revel speakers in the past, but they've never impressed me on a cost per performance scale. They definitely can sound good, but when compared them to others, I found better sounding options for the same price.

I've generally liked Revel speakers in the past, but they've never impressed me on a cost per performance scale. They definitely can sound good, but when compared them to others, I found better sounding options for the same price.
Any ones you might point to as an alternative? For the F206, they are $3.5k a pair, right in line with what I might budget for the mains

At that price, I'd look at dynaudio, focal, ATC, and even paradigm. Since you are looking at adding a ssubwoofer, I recommend smaller speakers which have better midrange and solid output to no lower than 60hz. Let the sub do everything in the deep bass.

If you want specific models to look at, go listen to:
  • Dynaudio C1 Platinum - several members own these and they are amazing speakers for the money (and I happen to know of a dealer who gets good prices, too)
  • Focal Diablo Utopia - may have to hunt for a good price, but few speakers have the detail and resolution of these gorgeous little beasts
  • ATC SCM19 - A great high resolution speaker from a highly respected British company
  • Paradigm Persona B - Amazing little beast offering the best of the Canadian natural sound

Good luck.

The dynaudio are $8700 a pair. Actually everyone you listed is way above my budget. The persona is $3.5k per speaker

Like some of the others, I have read dozens of glowing reviews about Revel speakers, but never heard them for myself.
Flint definitely gave some good recommendations.

I have listened to Revels on two occasions and both were rather high end. Each time the owner looked at me and said something to the effect of "Aren't they incredible?" And to be honest they never really did anything for me. Maybe my ears aren't good enough but they didn't excite me like they did the people that owned them. But they are well made and nice looking, so give them a listen and if you like them that's all that matters. But I also agree that Dynaudios are worth listening to. They have lots of speakers and some within your budget. If you shopped used you can definitely get something really nice for $3500.

Haven’t we been down the “studio monitor” path before? I ask as I think I’m the only one still rocking the Mackie HR824 MK1s in a home theater.

I think Yromj and Dirt still use the Mackies in their rigs.

Like some of the others, I have read dozens of glowing reviews about Revel speakers, but never heard them for myself.
Flint definitely gave some good recommendations.
at twice the price. No way I can get up to that level. Even assuming a pair go for $8,000 les 20% that's still $6,400 per pair. That's still almost 2x the MSRP of the budget I have. I just don't see it working

Bump. I guess I didn't answer but I don't have interest in studio monitors . Looking to replace the mains then put in a center then eventually the surrounds.

Just curious, how is a great speaker with the word "Studio Monitor" in the name off the list of options? Ultimately they are all speakers. Studio monitors just tend to focus more on consistency and revealing accuracy. Also, active speakers with active crossovers generally sound significantly superior to their non-active counterparts.

But, just the same, I haven't gone speaker shopping in so long I don't know what's out there in old-school home audio speakers at your specific price range because in that range I only look at active speakers, most of which happen to be designed as studio monitors. You can get quite an amazing speaker for $5,000 a pair.

if you don't want to buy a pair of used Dynaudio C1s (many members here have done that), you should look at the Dynaudio Contour 30, as long as you are happy with your subwoofer.

Back