• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

OLED vs. QLED

Akula

Famous
I've begun looking at new TVs in the ongoing saga of "update the theater." I had been expecting the nod would go to the LG OLED- my parents even just bought one and it is magnificent. Last night I had a good look at a Samsung QLED and was impressed (it's also $700 less). In doing my research, it looks like the two sets are neck and neck, each with their own advantages.

For a theater room with no real need for off-axis viewing and no windows, it pretty much looks like there's no massive difference between them. Does anybody know a reason why to do one or the other? Right now I'm inclined to get the 65" Samsung Q8f and pocket the $700 difference, but I've no compunction about going for the LG 65" C8 if the technology is really that much better.

This isn’t helpfu but I think it comes down to whether the things the OLED does better (black) is worth the $700 difference over the QLED.

In my opinion it isn’t.

I know Samsung has been touting their Quantum Dot technology for some time but to change their marketing literature to QLED, which not-so-coincidentally looks amazingly close to OLED in print, irritates me. I'm guessing many people have purchased their sets thinking they were getting OLED technology...

This isn’t helpfu but I think it comes down to whether the things the OLED does better (black) is worth the $700 difference over the QLED.

In my opinion it isn’t.

That's kinda the thing- the OLED has perfect blacks, but the stuff I'm reading says that the QLED tends to do better in detail in dark spots.

The Samsung QLED stuff is pushed by Microsoft as being the best for gaming with a Xbox One X, but I don't necessarily want my gaming to drive the entire purchase- not irrelevant, but not the driving force. OLEDs can burn in, the QLED simply won't. But I don't game so much that it's going to be a worry (I don't play 20 hours a week like a teenager might).

Right now I'm leaning heavily QLED- if anything breaks that, it's going to be Samsung's refusal to support Dolby Vision. But then, I don't really know if one particular HDR format is worth that much money when I'm not even anticipating getting a 4K capable Blu-Ray player.

@Akula Don't you already have a 4K bluray player with the Xbox One X? I could be wrong with that, but I thought the one's played 4K.

The Samsung QLED stuff is pushed by Microsoft as being the best for gaming with a Xbox One X, but I don't necessarily want my gaming to drive the entire purchase- not irrelevant, but not the driving force. OLEDs can burn in, the QLED simply won't. But I don't game so much that it's going to be a worry (I don't play 20 hours a week like a teenager might).

Do NOT trust Microsoft's marketing department on the claim that QLED is somehow superior. QLED comes from a single company and strongly suggests the two companies have a co-marketing agreement in place. They are already partners in other areas, after all.

I think you would like any TV out there today. For the money, they are all light years ahead of the crap we were shopping for ten years ago, to the point that they would have appeared absolutely perfect and ideal by the standards we used to have. Get the TV which fits your budget, capabilities, features, and size and just love it.

@Akula Don't you already have a 4K bluray player with the Xbox One X? I could be wrong with that, but I thought the one's played 4K.

Heh. Yeah. Guess it does. I forget that's a feature.

I'd say go 70" w/ that extra $700...technology might not be better, but...size matters.

It's a thought, but the TV down there now is a 57". A 65" will be noticeably larger... going to an even bigger one would just be enormous. And the next step up in the Q8f line is a 75" model for 3500... that's out the top end of what I'm willing to do.

Do NOT trust Microsoft's marketing department on the claim that QLED is somehow superior. QLED comes from a single company and strongly suggests the two companies have a co-marketing agreement in place. They are already partners in other areas, after all.

I think you would like any TV out there today. For the money, they are all light years ahead of the crap we were shopping for ten years ago, to the point that they would have appeared absolutely perfect and ideal by the standards we used to have. Get the TV which fits your budget, capabilities, features, and size and just love it.

I am shocked, SHOCKED that you would insinuate that money may have changed hands for a recommendation. These aren't some fly by night companies of no morals! We're talking SAMSUNG and MICROSOFT here!

Seriously, though, I get what you're saying. That's why I think I'm settling on the Samsung 65" Q8f... it looks darn good (there's never really a way to A/B test displays, so it's impossible to tell if they really are just as good as each other) and seems to get good reviews. The lack of Dolby Vision doesn't really seem like that big a drawback.

I am shocked, SHOCKED that you would insinuate that money may have changed hands for a recommendation. These aren't some fly by night companies of no morals! We're talking SAMSUNG and MICROSOFT here!

Look, my Bosch dishwasher claims that Finish brand detergent and rinse agent work the best, yet we all know that Soundhound Piss is far superior.

Back