• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Are all rock drummers boring hacks compared to jazz drummers?

HA! I love it... I laughed with Pauly wrote that in the other thread, because in most cases I completely agree that rock drummers are boring compared to most jazz drummers.

I'll let this go on because I have actually wrote essays, taught classes, and gave private lessons on this very topic over the years. If you think my know-it-all BS is bad when discussing other topics, you should see it when I get into this sort of thing! ARG!!

Hold on... we may need to define our terms. There are a ton of drummers out there who are formally trained jazz drummers who play rock music - or at least got famous playing rock music. So, what is a jazz drummer? What is a rock drummer?

Hold on... we may need to define our terms. There are a ton of drummers out there who are formally trained jazz drummers who play rock music - or at least got famous playing rock music. So, what is a jazz drummer? What is a rock drummer?

AH HA!!!!

My point exactly.................

AH HA!!!!

My point exactly.................

For example, Steve Smith, Chad Wackerman, Terry Bozzio, Vinnie Colaiuta, Aynsley Dunbar, Omar Hakim, and many, many others who are legends in rock were formally trained at jazz conservatories or universities.

Probably not anyone (Shannon Larkin and Sully Erna) that you guys would consider great rock drummers compared to some of the greats Heeman put up there, but having seen this live several times I can tell you this it absolutely one of if not the most entertaining drum solo I have ever seen. Its rip your face off fun and the crowd goes apeshit.

I have seen Neil Peart and Tommy Aldridge both live and they did not disappoint.

So here it is:

I know this isn't rock or jazz drumming, but figured I'd share this which I came across many years ago.

Just ignore the beatboxer, and the stick spinning and juggling (though it's a bit entertaining) - check out the drummer's light touch and precision:

By the way.... I do believe that the Rock and Country genres are filled with terrible drummers who get by on the strength of their bands. The kid in Greta Van Fleet, for instance, is a terrible drummer and either needs to swallow his pride and get some lessons or simply quit so the band can become stronger. The kid from Hansen was terrible when they became famous, but all of the members of that band took the time and made the effort to get better and now he is pretty good. Some drummers get better over time, but too often they don't.

So, yes, a crappy drummer who can at least remember the songs and keep a decent enough tempo can hide in a good country or rock band where a jazz band would expose a bad drummer most of the time (with some exceptions).

Another of my favorites - Billy Kilson.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a big shitstorm here. (Well maybe a little one... :smilingimp:) I simply find that my attention is drawn to the drum line a lot more often in jazz music than rock. Its just my personal opinion, and there are ALWAYS exceptions. For example, I'm a huge fan of Portnoy and he's not remotely a jazz drummer. Anton Fig, who plays with a certain unnamed guitarist, is also terrific, and he doesn't surround himself with an over the top enormous kit like Portnoy.

Back