• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Using my AKG K240s again

bmwuk

I bought these open air headphones many years ago when we lived in an apartment with a baby. I could watch movies using an RCA to mini to a headphone amp to these inexpensive headphones. I could listen to the movies but if the baby cried I could hear her too. Then we were blessed to get in a house and I've been able to upgrade and update my surround sound setup and no neighbors sharing floors and walls.

But I've taken a bit of a conservative approach recently by not going out as much with friends. I have started to watch streaming shows in my garage using the headphones so I can relax with a drink and smoke a cigar. I have brought out an old Kindle fire to stream these shows. So the AKG headphones are great to hear the show but also hear what's around me. A good compromise and some savings since I don't have to spend $40 on round trip Uber rides each time. Hell it doubles up my night but I would never drive once I started drinking. Anyway they work well.

Back when I ran a recording studio, my K240DF headphones became my reference to confirm timber and mix balance on everything I engineered. I refuse to sell those things as I know them so well, and the company stopped selling the DF version.

Back when I ran a recording studio, my K240DF headphones became my reference to confirm timber and mix balance on everything I engineered. I refuse to sell those things as I know them so well, and the company stopped selling the DF version.
Df?

Diffuse Field. They were engineered to have a sound resembling reference speakers in a mastering suite.

Nice to know I'm not the only one that watches movies/tv out in the shop. That said, I've never been able to get into the AKG sound sig, I'm sure it's just personal preference but they always almost just sound deflated for lack of another word.

When I want to watch something quietly in the house I use an old pair of Senn HD595's, open back and extremely comfy for long hours of use.

Nice to know I'm not the only one that watches movies/tv out in the shop. That said, I've never been able to get into the AKG sound sig, I'm sure it's just personal preference but they always almost just sound deflated for lack of another word.

When I want to watch something quietly in the house I use an old pair of Senn HD595's, open back and extremely comfy for long hours of use.
These open air designs allow me to hear my surroundings so I'm not closed off and I bought them due to pricing. I don't use headphones much so I didn't see the point in spending $400 or whatever high amount for infrequent use and just for TV show watching. I had older Sennheiser cans and nice amps but I sold it all when I realized it wasn't used often enough

I hear ya, the 595's I use for tv watching I bought off the used market at headfi for $50. Like you I could not justify spending more to watch tv, and they are also open back.

Back