• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The wandering earth - now streaming on Netflix - Scifi movie

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
one of the biggest movies that mainland china was able to produce.

its a sleeper here, but its available on netflix now.

^^I saw that last night while looking for something to watch with the grandson. Once I saw that there were subtitles, figured he would lose interest in that very quickly. Ended up watching the Phantom Menace, which he had never seen, and really enjoyed it.

you can also watch it in english by the way. ;)

anyways, i just tried watching it a bit last night. a bit slow in the beginning, and quite the paradigm shift from watching cantonese movies. you can almost tell whenever its a mainland china movie.

you can also watch it in english by the way. ;)

anyways, i just tried watching it a bit last night. a bit slow in the beginning, and quite the paradigm shift from watching cantonese movies. you can almost tell whenever its a mainland china movie.
I'll be honest, I don't watch many, if any, shows from China. How can you tell it's a movie from mainland China?

I'll be honest, I don't watch many, if any, shows from China. How can you tell it's a movie from mainland China?

aside from the intro, most of the times, the pacing is off, or that its also the way they 'tell' the story. sometimes rushed, sometimes, missing out on character build. hong kong or korean movies aren't perfect, but most of the movies ive seen know how to convey what they need to, when they need to. it just sucks that their downfall is that they cant really put closure or end a story on a proper note. a better note, sure, but just end it well.

The man from nowhere, for example is an amazing korean movie, but the ending shouldve been at a certain point.

I didn't realize this movie was such a big deal. Article states it's the third highest grossing film, although I'm not sure if that's just this year or of all time. LINK to an article about the production of it.

I didn't realize this movie was such a big deal. Article states it's the third highest grossing film, although I'm not sure if that's just this year or of all time. LINK to an article about the production of it.

As Americans it is really difficult to comprehend the scale of China's population. There's a reason Hollywood is now happy to edit their blockbusters to pass state approval to be shown in China.

As Americans it is really difficult to comprehend the scale of China's population. There's a reason Hollywood is now happy to edit their blockbusters to pass state approval to be shown in China.
Yeah, I get that 1.3 billion people is a potentially huge audience, but this is a movie made by China, which is surprising that it's the third highest grossing film when most of the western world hasn't seen it.

Yeah, I get that 1.3 billion people is a potentially huge audience, but this is a movie made by China, which is surprising that it's the third highest grossing film when most of the western world hasn't seen it.

That's kinda my point. China has been studying western storytelling, entertainment, production, acting and so on for decades. They have been slowly developing the skills and talent to produce their own content. They worked jointly with western producers and studios to make shows like "Marco Polo" and others and learned how it's done. Given all that, an unlimited budget, extremely talented and skilled people to produce it, and a massive audience 4 times larger than the USA, is this at all surprising? Much like the Europeans are making some incredible movies that turn a huge profit which are designed specifically for their market and ignoring the UK/American markets, the Chinese are going to be producing more and more movies and TV shows like this.

Just look at history, the center of the movie industry was originally Germany with France/Italy coming in a close second, then Hollywood came into existance.

dont forget, netflix had a hand in this, so it shows the significance in the market.

feels good to know that somehow, the american cinema sees the dynamics available outside the american movie market.

dont forget, netflix had a hand in this, so it shows the significance in the market.

feels good to know that somehow, the american cinema sees the dynamics available outside the american movie market.
Yes, in the article I linked to, it said Netflix offered to translate the movie into 28 different languages to be able to secure the rights to it. That's a lot of translating and overdubbing.

Yes, in the article I linked to, it said Netflix offered to translate the movie into 28 different languages to be able to secure the rights to it. That's a lot of translating and overdubbing.
too bad they cant lip sync it well enough.

similar to the european movie similar to this... er... there we go!

Attraction

Ok, watched this movie over the weekend... it's appeal is lost on me. So many different things about the movie that I thought were so so bad.

I'm seriously wondering if I missed something...

Ok, watched this movie over the weekend... it's appeal is lost on me. So many different things about the movie that I thought were so so bad.

I'm seriously wondering if I missed something...

sorry bud, but this is yet another trait that mainland chinese movies have, and/or some HK movies do too. they either try to stuff things into a movie to the brim, therefore making it too confusing, or miss building character/plot development, leaving the viewer assuming things instead.

or maybe it was just lost in translation.

sorry bud, but this is yet another trait that mainland chinese movies have, and/or some HK movies do too. they either try to stuff things into a movie to the brim, therefore making it too confusing, or miss building character/plot development, leaving the viewer assuming things instead.

or maybe it was just lost in translation.

I'm assuming there is definitely some sort of cultural missing link, but still... the science across the board was terrible, the plot was simplistic, the script,(especially for the lone female lead and her older brother) was awful. And then there were certain points in the story where I'd have to get into spoilers that I thought were just dumm beyond all measure.

The visuals were ok and it was ambitious with visuals that weren't terrible (although, not Hollywood good either).

Ultimately, I thought it was a bad Armageddon... which was already pretty bad to start with.

I have watched a lot of Korean and Japanese movies in the last year or so, and expected something closer to those in quality. It wasn't for me.

I'm assuming there is definitely some sort of cultural missing link, but still... the science across the board was terrible, the plot was simplistic, the script,(especially for the lone female lead and her older brother) was awful. And then there were certain points in the story where I'd have to get into spoilers that I thought were just dumm beyond all measure.

The visuals were ok and it was ambitious with visuals that weren't terrible (although, not Hollywood good either).

Ultimately, I thought it was a bad Armageddon... which was already pretty bad to start with.

I have watched a lot of Korean and Japanese movies in the last year or so, and expected something closer to those in quality. It wasn't for me.

Blasphemy: Armageddon was awesome!!!

Which begs the question, which is the better movie, Armageddon or Deep Impact?

Back