• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Least Bad Option

Towen7

Staff member
In my RV there’s a small TV mounted on the wall above the stove. There’s also a very loud air conditioner a few feet away. When the AC is in its impossible to hear the TV because like most TVs the speakers are terrible. So Im looking for options to add external speakers. I don’t want to spend much money because we so rarely use the TV at all.

There’s about 7.5” of space behind the panel the TV is mounted to so I’m thinking about just installing two 5” car audio speakers directly behind the TV and using a little Dayton Audio class D amp connected to the TVs headphone out. It’s extremely far from ideal. The cavity is unsealed and there’s no way to really isolate the speakers. Below are photos of the front and inside “box“ the speakers would be mounted to. It’s about 7” deep and there are wires for outlets and lights running through It.

I’m not looking for great sound, just something audible when higher volumes are needed to overcome the sound of the AC. I may be able to seal the space a little better using the speaker holes for access. Is there any reason to do or not do that?

Would stuffing the cavity with batting be beneficial?

CE673C6C-D231-48A8-ABF7-B101B78EDADE.jpeg
E031B22A-844D-45BC-9179-B5BF017BF680.jpeg

Does the bottom of the television go down right to the top of the microwave? I know very little about RVs so I may have few things wrong. The motor homes and camping trailers I have seen have an audio system built in but aren't set up with a television in mind. If there is any room under the television, I would be mounting a sound bar such as the Sony HTS200F. Not great but better than the television's internal speakers.

Does the bottom of the television go down right to the top of the microwave? I know very little about RVs so I may have few things wrong. The motor homes and camping trailers I have seen have an audio system built in but aren't set up with a television in mind. If there is any room under the television, I would be mounting a sound bar such as the Sony HTS200F. Not great but better than the television's internal speakers.

Yes, when the TV is retracted it completely fills the space between the ceiling and microwave. When pulled out as pictured I could put a small soundbar there. The only drawbacks to that idea are having to take it up and down every time and storing it when not in use.

The motor homes and camping trailers I have seen have an audio system built in but aren't set up with a television in mind.

Heres the frustrating thing ...
The camper has two speakers and a subwoofer installed inside. They’re connected to an automobile style head unit with DVD functionality. That unit is on the opposite side of the camper and there’s a composite video cable running from it to the TV. So when watching a DVD I can use those speakers, no problem. But if using the TVs antenna or if I connect a digital source like an iPad to the TV there’s no way to get the audio from the TV‘s analog outputs back across the camper to the head unit so it can send the audio to those speakers.

That got me thinking ...
Why not try a Bluetooth transmitter connected to the TV to send audio over to the head unit (which has BT capability) ?!?!

Checking Amazon now!

I ordered a little transmitter with analog and optical inputs, that should cover whatever the TV outputs. The only concern now is lag but I’m not worried as this is the furthest thing from a reference system.

I suppose a semi-disposable BD player would be a worthwhile addition.

I ordered a little transmitter with analog and optical inputs, that should cover whatever the TV outputs. The only concern now is lag but I’m not worried as this is the furthest thing from a reference system.

I suppose a semi-disposable BD player would be a worthwhile addition.
...Don't you mean a HD-DVD player?

Thanks for talking this out with me.

Problem solved!!!

The little $40 BT adapter paired right up to the receiver and is sending audio from the TVs optical port when watching OTA and/or my mobile devices playing connected HDMI. There is a tiny bit of audio lag but, as I mentioned earlier, it’s the least of the sound quality problems (note the speaker position relative to TV).

All I needed was more clarity at volume ... mission accomplished

746FB9D3-3452-419A-9504-A485EB6C56F4.jpeg

Back