• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Kewl Stuff

They used AI and digital cleanup techniques on the rover footage from Apollo 16. And (I don't remember this part) apparently they were a little lost!

In my late teens, I was able to stand up straight on my bicycle seat, on a light downhill slope. Couldn't turn sharply like that, and I wish I had video to prove it.
Even though it no doubt didn't look near as nice. :(

@Batman wasnt sure if I should put this in the streaming thread with the other one or not. Kind of felt like it would be a bit of a hijack.

Check this one out. HOLY SHIT!

Plus returning to this thread gave me an excuse to watch the girl on the bicycle post again. She's incredibly skilled on that bike. It's truly amazing. :love:

This is a good video on how a military ejection system works. This is what I did for a living for ten years.

There is one error. Video states that when the pilot pulls the ejection handles, "...an electrical pulse goes to the canopy ejection portion...", and that isn't true. When you pull the handle, that fires a tiny CAD/CAM explosive, which sends the signal via tubes lined inside with explosive, there is no electricity anywhere in these systems (electrical power from either the aircraft, or separate batteries, is too unreliable).

This is a good video on how a military ejection system works. This is what I did for a living for ten years.

There is one error. Video states that when the pilot pulls the ejection handles, "...an electrical pulse goes to the canopy ejection portion...", and that isn't true. When you pull the handle, that fires a tiny CAD/CAM explosive, which sends the signal via tubes lined inside with explosive, there is no electricity anywhere in these systems (electrical power from either the aircraft, or separate batteries, is too unreliable).
RIP Goose!!!!

RIP Goose!!!!
Interesting point. The AF has always ejected the canopy first, then blew the pilot out. The Navy puts a spike at the top of their seats, which is intended to shatter the canopy before the pilots' helmet hits it. I need to look for that sequence on EweTube and watch more carefully.
The F-4 Phantom ejected the canopies, and was used by both the AF and the Navy. The new F-35 is also used by both services, but I have no idea how the ejection sequence works (it's been 14 years!); in fact, the canopy hinges at the front, so they're not even taking advantage of the slipstream to carry it away:

lockheed-martin-f-lightning-ii-tarmac-79949790.jpg

EDIT: Well, that warn't accurate at All!

The canopy blew off, goose's seat rocket fired initially but wasn't working when he hit the canopy... Hollywood.
I know I've seen that movie decades ago, I need to watch it again.

EDIT II: That was the first hit on EweTube search, and had Russian subtitles. :laughing:

Last edited:
Interesting point. The AF has always ejected the canopy first, then blew the pilot out. The Navy puts a spike at the top of their seats, which is intended to shatter the canopy before the pilots' helmet hits it. I need to look for that sequence on EweTube and watch more carefully.
The F-4 Phantom ejected the canopies, and was used by both the AF and the Navy. The new F-35 is also used by both services, but I have no idea how the ejection sequence works (it's been 14 years!); in fact, the canopy hinges at the front, so they're not even taking advantage of the slipstream to carry it away:

lockheed-martin-f-lightning-ii-tarmac-79949790.jpg

EDIT: Well, that warn't accurate at All!

The canopy blew off, goose's seat rocket fired initially but wasn't working when he hit the canopy... Hollywood.
I know I've seen that movie decades ago, I need to watch it again.

EDIT II: That was the first hit on EweTube search, and had Russian subtitles. :laughing:
I thought the Aces Ii ejection seat was used in F14, F15, and F16's all used a canopy breaker.
I seem to recall FB111's used the explosive charge to eject the canopy just before the pilots were ejected.
You have to excuse my memory its been 35 years since I stood over an ejection seat for egress training.
Scary scary shit especially when you realize how things can go wrong. LOL

Cool insight from a couple of experts .... I was under the impression that det cord was used to break the glass vs causing the entire canopy to come off in one piece. On the F35 it’s the grey outline around the section just over the pilot. Presumable the front section is a much thicker (bird-strike resistant) material.

EF6CA14D-656D-4A66-90F6-86DBB7B3269E.jpeg

0FEB6437-6D2B-47A8-9B5D-4370D8A18D76.jpeg

Last edited:
Back