• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

At what point did we start saying 5 dot 1

Randy

Superstar
It's a frickin number for crying out loud and it is a number with a decimal point indicating a fractional equivalent.

It's 5 point frickin 1 for the love of God.

Change my mind!!!

Plus we need a little departure from all the crazy right now.

It's a frickin number for crying out loud and it is a number with a decimal point indicating a fractional equivalent.

It's 5 point frickin 1 for the love of God.

Change my mind!!!

Plus we need a little departure from all the crazy right now.
Who says 5 dot 1? That's just silly!! 5 point 1 til the day I die!!

Perhaps you need to just question the people around you. I have never heard anyone around me say 5 dot 1. I know this because if I had I would have ridiculed them immediately.

I've never thought about it before but now that I do ... I say five "point" one when referring speakers but the period is not decimal and the "1" is not a tenth which makes 5 "point" 1 inaccurate in that scenario.

For the record I also use "and" to separate months and days when using numbers. October 2nd is "10 and 2".

Perhaps you need to just question the people around you. I have never heard anyone around me say 5 dot 1. I know this because if I had I would have ridiculed them immediately.

EweTube reviewers not my friends and aquaintences.

I've never thought about it before but now that I do ... I say five "point" one when referring speakers but the period is not decimal and the "1" is not a tenth which makes 5 "point" 1 inaccurate in that scenario.

Well CRAP, since you put it that way, what you said is correct so now I have to rethink everything I ever learned.

So, going back to the Dolby Digital days it was always 5 point 1.

Now that everyone is naming all of the channels in their system, whether or not they are discreet channels, like 9.2.4 a lot of folks have started saying dot and I don't like it.

Haters!

dot_matrix.jpeg

Way back when (before McPeak f*cked everything up) military specifications had very rigorous nesting paragraph requirements. In meetings we would be told, "Now refer to paragraph 4.2.1.1.5.13.6", and it was pronounced "Paragraph 4 2 1 1 5 13 6". If we had said either Point, or Dot, we'd still be working on the F-16!

This makes me think of writing cheques (checks) where a number like 1237 makes me write it as "One thousand two hundred thirty seven. I don't write the word "and" after the "hundred."
I have heard radio stations use "dot" instead of "point" such as FM 103.5 would have the DJ say "one oh three dot five."

This makes me think of writing cheques (checks) where a number like 1237 makes me write it as "One thousand two hundred thirty seven. I don't write the word "and" after the "hundred."
I have heard radio stations use "dot" instead of "point" such as FM 103.5 would have the DJ say "one oh three dot five."

You still write checks?!?!?!
I haven't written out a check in about a decade.

Back