• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

So Long Logitech Harmony

Damn maybe the most important piece of equipment in my star. I have two Ones one in the basement one in the LR

Oh shit. The battery in one of mine is dying. It looks like I'll have to find a shop that can replace it. This really sucks. I guess that leaves Universal and those are a pain to set up.

Last edited:
Yesterday I bought a Harmony 665 prompted by this official news. Seems like Best Buy is about the only reputable place that has them new anymore at regular price.

I already had the silver version of the 665 (650?) but the buttons are wearing and it looks kind of crappy. So figured why not since it’ll be harder to get once BB stock is depleted. But if I ever upgrade my receiver I won’t bother trying to reprogram the Harmony. The software required too much trial/error and gaming the program to get power/input switching to work properly. Guess at that point I’ll just activate HDMI-CEC and mostly use the OEM remotes.

Yeah, this sucks
There isn’t really anyone selling comparable remotes that someone like me can setup. As @Haywood mentioned the URC stuff is intentionally complex to setup and make changes to.

Ive been having intermittent issues with my Harmony Hub and Companion so I’m not sure what to do now.

Dang it.

I've never seen or heard of anything that's anywhere close to as good.

^ for the consumer that is probably true, but there are plenty of powerful remotes that do some pretty amazing macros. Way more than ANY Harmony could ever hope to....The problem is, for all practical purposes, you need the equivalent of a 2year college degree to know how to work in depth with the software. For example, the guy that programmed my URC controller which is app based, took a picture of the Shakespeare bust I used to open the Batcave entrance he took two pics of the bust (one closed and one opened) and created a small animated button that was the actual bust to open the secret door with the app. That is the tip of the iceberg with what a programmer that knows what’s he’s doing with the professional grade stuff.

Yesterday I bought a Harmony 665 prompted by this official news. Seems like Best Buy is about the only reputable place that has them new anymore at regular price.
I followed your lead and just bought a backup from amazoid; it wasn't my "Harmony One" but it'll work with what I have (I don't have IoT lights, curtains, garage door openers or refrigerators).

Last edited:
Yeah, this sucks
There isn’t really anyone selling comparable remotes that someone like me can setup. As @Haywood mentioned the URC stuff is intentionally complex to setup and make changes to.

Ive been having intermittent issues with my Harmony Hub and Companion so I’m not sure what to do now.
I used to use URC remotes back in the day and found them to be both harder to set up and less reliable. I wish I'd know they were going to do this. I would have bought a few more remotes. Oh well. I have one for each of my system and they should last a long time if I can get batteries.

Caavo remotes are really nice. I have one and like it a lot. The downside is that it cannot handle things like bias lights and TV lifts. If all you have is a TV, receiver and source components, it is beautiful.

^ for the consumer that is probably true, but there are plenty of powerful remotes that do some pretty amazing macros. Way more than ANY Harmony could ever hope to....The problem is, for all practical purposes, you need the equivalent of a 2year college degree to know how to work in depth with the software. For example, the guy that programmed my URC controller which is app based, took a picture of the Shakespeare bust I used to open the Batcave entrance he took two pics of the bust (one closed and one opened) and created a small animated button that was the actual bust to open the secret door with the app. That is the tip of the iceberg with what a programmer that knows what’s he’s doing with the professional grade stuff.
True, but Logitech had nailed down the perfect universal remote for those who weren't using a pro level custom install system. It was easy to set up by the end user and the software generally was simple to use to keep things updated as components were changed (there was a period where they couldn't make up their minds as to whether they wanted to use a standalone app or a web-based interface).

I have a couple Harmony remotes- in both my theater room and great room I have things set up to run all sources via the AVR and then video only to the TV. They made it very simple to do this. Without them, I'd have a much bigger mess on my hands. I'd probably have to at least completely rewire that stuff and rig a soundbar for TV audio instead of the 3.1 system I use in the great room now.

I really like the Harmony Ultimate One / Harmony Hubs I'm using in both my systems. I'm going to have to stock up on batteries and hope they don't break. The only other user friendly option is the Caavo, but it is not set up to address audio-only sources. This is very disappointing.

How long will they continue support? I had to completely reprogram mine about 3 months ago and the only way I know how to do it is on line.

Are there any apps that will work with multiple devices?

I must've mentioned on another thread (that I now can't find) that when I hit "Menu" on my Harmony One, the menu on my Dish system would come up, and one of the first icons to select was the "DVR", to see my pre-recorded content. This icon disappeared a few months ago, but I developed a long workaround eventually, and lived with it.

When I returned from a 6-day trip last week, both the main and backup battery in my Harmony had died; just logging into the Logitech website restored the settings in my remote, and the DVR icon was restored! And it has stayed in place for a week now! I really, really don't understand this; I wouldn't think the Menu icons for a Dish DVR would be stored in the remote, but I have no other explanation for this. Like my issues with Carplay/Google Maps/Audi MMI, my lifetime software curse remains (the IT folks in my last organization actually presented me with a coffee mug, imprinted with "I stumped my IT Department!", I kid you not).

LOL
I’ve experienced some weirdness wit my Harmony Hub and Companion lately too. The system would periodically experience extreme lag but only when controlling my Roku. It happened when using the physical remote and the Harmony app. To make a long story short after several months of unsuccessful troubleshooting and just dealing with it ... I decided to risk unsupported obsolescence and replaced both the hub and the Companion with new ones.

Back