• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speakers for bedroom TV?

The DirtMerchant

Famous
Haywood's post about "mediocre speakers on purpose" piqued my interest.
I was recently thinking about this kind of speaker, excellent timing on his post (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719C132V?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1).

Since I moved (coming up on 3 years) and expanded the number of TVs and in my house, I've been using the TV speakers on my bedroom TV. The two setups
I've had are being used of course and budget constraints have simply not allowed for another setup. Having said that, I'm tired of not being able to hear clearly and I really dislike subtitles. I want to be able to watch TV and hear well from about 9 ft away. Nothing too loud, I don't need any kind of sub (or bass module!).

What's the sub $200 recommendation? Those Edifier's? Wasn't there some brand that BestBuy used to carry that was talked about here a bunch?
Some pair of in ceiling speakers (cost is important, I'd consider installing them myself..., I have easy attic access, I assume its cut a hole, drop them in, connect wires...)
Soundbar?

Haywood's post about "mediocre speakers on purpose" piqued my interest.
I was recently thinking about this kind of speaker, excellent timing on his post (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0719C132V?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1).

Since I moved (coming up on 3 years) and expanded the number of TVs and in my house, I've been using the TV speakers on my bedroom TV. The two setups
I've had are being used of course and budget constraints have simply not allowed for another setup. Having said that, I'm tired of not being able to hear clearly and I really dislike subtitles. I want to be able to watch TV and hear well from about 9 ft away. Nothing too loud, I don't need any kind of sub (or bass module!).

What's the sub $200 recommendation? Those Edifier's? Wasn't there some brand that BestBuy used to carry that was talked about here a bunch?
Some pair of in ceiling speakers (cost is important, I'd consider installing them myself..., I have easy attic access, I assume its cut a hole, drop them in, connect wires...)
Soundbar?
There was a best buy brand that lots of people spoke highly of. Cant remember name and they are not showing on website.
Think it started with "E" but mymemory sucks.
I dont they were powered like the Edifiers or Audio Engine.

There is a few cheap Sony brand speakers that get a lot of attention on the interwebz.
I rhink they are available at bestbuy.

There was a best buy brand that lots of people spoke highly of. Cant remember name and they are not showing on website.
Insignia.

Dirt, your best, most convenient and least expensive option is a soundbar. I bought an $80 off-brand (Bestian) from Amazon solely based on its low price for my sim setup last year. I love this thing! It should check all your boxes.

LINK

I know Bose isn't often the best choice, but they do have certified refurb stuff available on their eBay store. I've found their bluetooth speakers and soundbars to be acceptable.

$139 for a Solo Soundbar II with free shipping. I put one of these in our motorhome and it works great.

I know Bose isn't often the best choice, but they do have certified refurb stuff available on their eBay store. I've found their bluetooth speakers and soundbars to be acceptable.

$139 for a Solo Soundbar II with free shipping. I put one of these in our motorhome and it works great.

Curious...does Bose simply put the same speakers they use in their cubes into their Soundbars?

Edifier makes marginally better speakers than the ones I bought that are still under $200. The main issue you will run into with all of them is driver size. If you have a big room, you will likely not want 4" drivers. Fluance makes some nice stuff, but they start at $259 and go up from there.

The cheap speakers I bought actually sound better than the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer soundbase I was using before.

Insignia ... their in-house brand. But those specific speakers have been discontinued.

Edit *** I see that Zing beat me to it

Edifier makes marginally better speakers than the ones I bought that are still under $200. The main issue you will run into with all of them is driver size. If you have a big room, you will likely not want 4" drivers. Fluance makes some nice stuff, but they start at $259 and go up from there.
Semi-related ... the $100 Edifier G2000 computer speakers sound ridiculously good for their size abs cost.

No clue. But I like that soundbar- works well in that application and the remote is nicely universal. Works as a bluetooth speaker too.
Yes, I got two of these as gifts from my kids a couple years ago and use one in our bedroom and one in our family room. As much as I hate to admit it they sound really good for what they are.

I have the old ones that Flint modified in my office. :)

As I recall those would be just about the perfect size/performance/price for my current project. I'm in the market for two pairs of passive speakers and a small sub. One pair will reside on one of my desks and the other on a racing simulator since both are in the same room I'll use an old Powersource amp with an integrated A/B switch to route sound to either location

Right now the Polk OWM3 is the leading candidate.

Back