• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Time for a change?

CMonster

When we first moved into our downtown condo, I pondered downsizing the living room system. It consists of Monitor Audio Platinum bookshelf and center channel speakers across the front, no surrounds, SVS PC-2000 Pro, Anthem AVM 50v pre/pro, and Anthem PVA-5 amp. The layout is far from ideal with a wall of windows within a few feet of the right speaker and then there's about 30 feet from the left speaker to the other side of the room. Dialog can be difficult to understand and I've been using stereo mode more and more often instead of utilizing the center channel. All of that said, I know a couple people who bought line array speaker kits from Dayton Audio as they were very impressed by them at Axpona back in 2017. One person assembled the kit, the other started to stain the cabinets but then abandoned the project. I'll be borrowing the finished pair here in a couple weeks to see if they do a better job in my room then the current setup. If they do, I'll be looking to swap out everything except the sub and go to a 2.1 system that might make use of the Parasound zAmp I have sitting in a box somewhere...

Here's the link to the Sound & Vision review.

When we first moved into our downtown condo, I pondered downsizing the living room system. It consists of Monitor Audio Platinum bookshelf and center channel speakers across the front, no surrounds, SVS PC-2000 Pro, Anthem AVM 50v pre/pro, and Anthem PVA-5 amp. The layout is far from ideal with a wall of windows within a few feet of the right speaker and then there's about 30 feet from the left speaker to the other side of the room. Dialog can be difficult to understand and I've been using stereo mode more and more often instead of utilizing the center channel. All of that said, I know a couple people who bought line array speaker kits from Dayton Audio as they were very impressed by them at Axpona back in 2017. One person assembled the kit, the other started to stain the cabinets but then abandoned the project. I'll be borrowing the finished pair here in a couple weeks to see if they do a better job in my room then the current setup. If they do, I'll be looking to swap out everything except the sub and go to a 2.1 system that might make use of the Parasound zAmp I have sitting in a box somewhere...

Here's the link to the Sound & Vision review.

I remember reading that review and I am definitely subscribed for updates.

Now, regarding the Monitor Audio stuff, I dont want WW to feel like he is alone so if you are considering adopting...

That's quite a change from what you currently run, sometimes a change is good, let us know if you like them.

Had to move the sub and didn’t have a cable long enough to reach the new location so initial listening was full range, no sub. I wasn’t that impressed; lacked bass and were a bit harsh Got the sub connected now, adjusted toe-in, and that definitely helps. I still need to run Anthem Room Correction or get the MiniDSP integrated into the system but that won’t happen this weekend. I need to throw in a movie to test dialogue...

I don't think I'll be keeping these but I still want to play with them a little more. At some point, maybe this weekend, I'm going to grab the Dynaudio C1s that are being used as surrounds in the HT and give those a whirl in the living room. I'll hook-up the Monitor Audios as surrounds to get a feel for how noticeable a very different speaker would sound in the HT. Depending on how all that goes I could see potentially getting a lower-line Dynaudio to use as surrounds, leaving the C1s in the living room, and parting ways with the Monitor Audios.

Sorry they're a disappointment, Chuck.
I gotta admit, with my OCD, I don't think I could live with those speakers at home, looking like they're about to fall over backwards.
But that's just me.

I don't think I'll be keeping these but I still want to play with them a little more. At some point, maybe this weekend, I'm going to grab the Dynaudio C1s that are being used as surrounds in the HT and give those a whirl in the living room. I'll hook-up the Monitor Audios as surrounds to get a feel for how noticeable a very different speaker would sound in the HT. Depending on how all that goes I could see potentially getting a lower-line Dynaudio to use as surrounds, leaving the C1s in the living room, and parting ways with the Monitor Audios.

Chuck, I think that makes a whole lot of sense. The C1s are under utilized on surround duty IMO. Take a look at the Evoke line from Dynaudio to replace them in the HT. I've read great things about them.

Chuck, I think that makes a whole lot of sense. The C1s are under utilized on surround duty IMO. Take a look at the Evoke line from Dynaudio to replace them in the HT. I've read great things about them.

I did end up putting the C1s in the living room a couple weeks back and Angela immediately noticed how much better they sounded - it was pretty cool seeing her reaction. They'll be moving there permanently later in the week because...

I ordered a pair of Evoke 30s for surround duty in the HT and should have them on Wednesday. At first I was leaning towards the Emit line since they're satin black instead of gloss, but we haven't had any issues with the glossy C2s at the front of the HT so I don't expect the surrounds to pose a problem.

In addition to the C1s, the living room also got a little TV upgrade. Jumped from a 64" Samsung plasma to a 77" Sony OLED. It's been an expensive week.

I did end up putting the C1s in the living room a couple weeks back and Angela immediately noticed how much better they sounded - it was pretty cool seeing her reaction. They'll be moving there permanently later in the week because...

I ordered a pair of Evoke 30s for surround duty in the HT and should have them on Wednesday. At first I was leaning towards the Emit line since they're satin black instead of gloss, but we haven't had any issues with the glossy C2s at the front of the HT so I don't expect the surrounds to pose a problem.

In addition to the C1s, the living room also got a little TV upgrade. Jumped from a 64" Samsung plasma to a 77" Sony OLED. It's been an expensive week.

That would make a damn fine pair of mains, let alone surround duty.

SIR,

YOU SUCK!!!

That's awesome! But yeah, you do suck. Pics of this whole new Evoke/OLED setup when it's all setup...sounds killer.

@CMonster ... A follow up thought...I will be interested to hear your thoughts after spending time with the 77" OLED. I'm particularly curious if the new screen causes you to spend more time on that setup vs. the theater room.

I have been entertaining the idea of moving away from the projector setup in my basement in favor of a large screen LCD. My PJ screen is only 92" and you can get 85" 4k at under $2k. I currently have a 60" LCD in the basement for me and the kids to play video games and to watch a very casual show in the background without wanting to dim the lights and take the time to fire up the entire HT. It would be nice to eliminate the need for a second screen and have one large screen for everything.

@CMonster ... A follow up thought...I will be interested to hear your thoughts after spending time with the 77" OLED. I'm particularly curious if the new screen causes you to spend more time on that setup vs. the theater room.

I have been entertaining the idea of moving away from the projector setup in my basement in favor of a large screen LCD. My PJ screen is only 92" and you can get 85" 4k at under $2k. I currently have a 60" LCD in the basement for me and the kids to play video games and to watch a very casual show in the background without wanting to dim the lights and take the time to fire up the entire HT. It would be nice to eliminate the need for a second screen and have one large screen for everything.

Yeah, I think you'd be quite happy replacing your current setup with an 85" 4k UHD tv.

I did something that I know is total overkill and probably not worth it, but in my defense I was offered MUCH more than expected for the Anthem pre/pro and amp on trade-in. Plus, it's so, so beautiful in its simplicity:

H190Front.jpg

H190BackTerminals.jpg

It'll be a few weeks before I get it but this will drive the C1s in the living room. The tv will handle video switching and just feed this bad boy via optical.

I did something that I know is total overkill and probably not worth it, but in my defense I was offered MUCH more than expected for the Anthem pre/pro and amp on trade-in. Plus, it's so, so beautiful in its simplicity:

H190Front.jpg

H190BackTerminals.jpg

It'll be a few weeks before I get it but this will drive the C1s in the living room. The tv will handle video switching and just feed this bad boy via optical.
Beautiful! Congrats!

Back