• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

12v trigger connection for Onkyo Receiver to Amp

hummerdude

I have moved to a new location and I am setting up my new room. I have never used the trigger feature for my Parasound amps, and I would like to set this up now. I got my Onkyo 875 receiver working and I am using this as a preprocessor, but it has a 12v trigger for zone 2 only. I would like to trigger the amps on automatically when I turn on the receiver. Both Halo amps have trigger inputs and I think outputs also. There is an available AC outlet on the Onkyo receiver that I could use. I don't want to have to use zone 2 because I think it is stereo only. How do I make this work? What kind of cords and connections do I need?

hummerdude

Here's the cable you'll need: http://amzn.com/B005V2TT86.

Since the trigger is only active for Zone 2, you'd have to turn Zone 2 on and off along with the main zone. This shouldn't be a problem if you're using something like a Harmony remote but otherwise it'll be a pain in the ass. You wouldn't need anything else connected to make this work - just run one of those cables from the Onkyo to the trigger input of one amp and another from the trigger output of that amp to the input of the other amp. Turn on the receiver and then turn Zone 2 onto any source; it really shouldn't matter since it isn't actually going to be used for anything other than the trigger.

How are you powering your stuff?
You can also just use a switch outlet if you are using something like a monster power center of tripplite.
With the 12v triggers on my units also only operating on zone 2, I just hook up the amps to a switched power outlet and when the receiver/ preamp comes on VOILA so does the amp.

The easiest option is what Randy suggested. A "problem" is that all of the power for the entire audio chain is cooking from a single outlet. Some people think this is a problem. This also limits you to keeping the amps close to the receiver.

Another option is one of those accessories that plug into the switched outlet and, when it turns on, it sends a 12v trigger signal. That allows you to plug your amps into a different outlet/circuit. All you'd need is the plug/trigger converter and a trigger cable (male/male mini mono or stereo cable).

Oh ... Oh ... You know what'd be even less expensive and give you that DIY, custom feel?

Use any old 12v adapter you have laying around, or grab one on Amazon for $5. Cut the tip off and solder on a male mini-plug. Plug the adapter into the switched outlet ... Done.

image_zpsf9465405.jpg

Is a switched outlet powered by the 12v connection? I have power trips with a switch but they plug into the wall and the switch turns them off and on.

Many receivers have power outlets on the back that only give power when the receiver is on. I think that is what you are asking about.

I wasn't referring to the switched outlet on the back of the receiver or pre/pro, I was referring to a swtitched outlet from your power center.

Hummerdude how does your receiver get power? Straight into the wall or from a pweor center like a Monster Power or Isobar from tripp lite or something similar?

If you have your receiver plugged into one of these power centers, they generally have a switched outlet that will turn on your amp at the same time as your receiver or pre/pro.

Although like Towen said, this means your amp is running off the same circuit as your receiver and many don't like that. I have an ATI 1505 downstairs, that thing is a beast and I have never seen any indication of running out of power with everything running off the same circuit. I have it all reunning through a Monster Power Center.

Thanks. I am powered through a switched outlet rather than directly through the wall. I guess I wanted to be able to use my remote to turn on the receiver and have the amps triggered without having to get up and physically flip the switch. I now have to turn on both amps physically and turn them off when I am done. Maybe the one flick of the switch on the power center would be the best option.

Try the trigger option Towen suggested. It will work and should be pretty easy peasy.

The outlet on the back of the receiver, #31 in the pic below, only powers on when the receiver does and turns off when the receiver is off. You can plug your amps directly into that outlet and they will work exactly like you want. Only if you can't pug them in there would you need a trigger. That trigger would plug into that #31 outlet and send 12vdc to the amps. If all else fails you can use a surge suppressor strip that has it's own "switched" outlets. In the pic below whatever is plugged into the blue outlet is the master and always has power available. The white outlets have no power until whatever is plugged in that blue one is turned on and starts to draw current. Then the white outlets get power.

875_zpsddd3cde3.png

strip_zpsbfa7e473.png

Thank you much for taking the time to explain all this to me. I think using the AC outlet to one amp and using the trigger cord to the other amp from the first amp will work perfectly.

hummerdude said:
I think using the AC outlet to one amp and using the trigger cord to the other amp from the first amp will work perfectly.

Why not split the AC outlet to both amps and avoid the trigger all together?

Cord_zpse1032508.png

I doubt the switched outlet on the AVR could handle the current requirements of one external amp, let alone two...

If that's the case than the 12vdc adapter would be the best choice to trigger the first amp. That amp can trigger the other one.

Hummerdude, I'll buck the trend here and suggest you go with your original idea and use the trigger and the cable CMonster linked to. The receiver and the amps already have the hardware you need built in and the cable is cheap. BTW, CMonster recommended the EXACT cable to use because it's mono (stereo cables may work but they may not depending on the ground pin).

If you have any issue, which I doubt, check the manual for assignment of the trigger.

John

EDIT: I just saw the part about Zone 2. If you have a macro-capable remote, you can solve this problem by adding a step in the macro to turn on Zone 2 and put it to a blank input since all you care about is firing the trigger. BTW, I suppose the amps don't have an auto-sensing feature by chance?

Thanks John. I called Parasound and they sent me a couple of cords for free. The amps do have the auto-sensing feature. My first attempt to get this working was not successful. One amp came on only when I turned the receiver off. I finally got tired and switched it back to manual. I will play with it some more and let you know if I get it working.

Back