• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

24p how important is this feature?

TitaniumTroy

Looking at upgrading to a 50" Plasma tv, so how important is the 24p feature? A Oppo 93 Bluray player will eventually follow, so no problem their on the player side supporting that feature.

I don't think 24p is important at all. Sine movies shot on film are recorded at 24p, having the display at 24p will give the display a more "film like" look. Otherwise the set (or player) has to convert the 24fps to 30fps which can induce motion artifacts like judder. I've had my tv and pj systems set to 24p for movies and frankly didn't care for it.

If you were looking at an LCD set I would strongly consider getting one that supports 24p.

Since you are going with plasma, I would not put it high on the priority list.

D

Anybody know what is the difference between Infinite Black 2 and the previous version, for the Panasonic plasma tv's?

It may be called that because the previous version of Panasonic TVs were designed to decrease their black levels over time. There have been several articles about users noticing decreased black levels and Panasonic's response was the sets had software designed to slightly reduce the black levels. I never really understood why.

Or it may be called that because they are claiming an even deeper black than before.

That was a lot of words used to say "I dont know."

I'm confused, because I know I've read reports and updates in sidebar articles in recent HT Mag issues where the complaints were increased black levels over extended periods of time, or is this for different generations of panasonics plasmas??

Correct. Their black levels would double; even triple...so their black became dark gray.

"In recent months reports have been circulating on Internet tech sites that the black levels on Panasonic plasmas have been increasing—that is, getting worse—as more hours accumulate on the sets. In fact, Panasonic itself admitted as much, noting that the sets were designed to increase their drive levels slightly, over time, to compensate for phosphor wear, which typically is at its maximum in the first few hundred hours. But Panasonic also noted that the algorithm that controls this might have been a little aggressive. For its 2010 sets, now in stores, it claims to have made the alterations more gradual.

In our August 2010 issue (about to hit the streets as you read this) we reviewed the new Panasonic TC-P50G20, which resides near the top of the company's 2D lineup. It's an outstanding set at a great price. But while the measured black level was impressive (not yet to Pioneer Kuro standards, but comparable to other recent Panasonic 2D models, which means very good), we were concerned about those reports of progressive black level deterioration. Panasonic agreed to let us hold onto the set to test for this problem over several weeks of use.

We began the test at about 175 hours on the Panasonic's "clock." There is, of course, no clock that times the set's usage, such as you'll find on a video projector. No flat panel we know of has such a feature. The 175 hour start time is a guestimate based on the 100 hours put on the set before we performed any measurements, plus additional time accumulated in the course of the review. The set was fed a mid-brightness full white field, with the same picture settings used in the review (THX Picture mode, adjusted as needed for the best picture, not a showroom Vivid mode), and run 24/7 for four weeks.

After approximately 800 hours of total use to date, the black level on the set remains the same as measured at the 100 hour point; that is, 0.008 foot-Lamberts (with an occasional fluctuation down to 0.007 fL, depending on the black source pattern used for the measurement).

If any corrections have been programmed into the set, they haven't been triggered yet, or occurred before 100 hours, when the first measurements were made. But we plan to keep at it until we accumulate approximately 1500 hours&#151or over a year's use at 4 hours a day."

Rope

That post is almost a year old and specific to 2010 sets. Have there been any updates?

here's the link on the new gt30. its the panny site, so take it with a grain of salt. the 50" is availble. hope to see the 55" out shortly as i have gotten a quote on it from a local retalier. everything i have read says it is going to be a top notch performer. they do speak to the advantage of the 24P feature. so for the performance i expect at a good price point, i'm taken the dive.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-elec ... 0000005702

:text-link:

Editor's take: I notice that the description of the new Pro 2 panel includes the words "subtle, delicate" but not "deeper" or "darker." I interpret that as a possible indication that the VT30 will not match the depth of the Kuro's blacks. But once again I'll have to wait until I see one in person, and directly compare it to the VT25 and the Kuro (not to mention the new Samsung D8000), to get the full story. Even after that, long-term testing will be in order to see how those blacks fare over time--both on Panasonic and on Samsung and LG plasmas. Finally, I find it strange that Panasonic is only offering two screen sizes, and wouldn't be surprised to see others appear later in the year.

Update Jan 7, 2010:
I spoke with Panasonic's rep at the booth and found out a few more preliminary details about the new plasmas.

He couldn't say whether the actual black levels (MLL) would be improved (specs for the new panels were not finalized), but in any case mentioned that the VT30 would not use "Kuro tech".

He also couldn't speak to any change for 2011 in the designed-in MLL increase I found on the VT25 and other models. He did mention improving shadow detail, but didn't know whether the "floating blacks" of previous models (I saw them on the G series last year, although others have also reported them on the VT25) had been addressed. Finally, he didn't know whether the contouring artifacts I noticed in 1080p/24 mode on the VT25 had been removed on the VT30.

Other major improvements were made in the screen filters, which apparently preserve black levels in ambient light better without increasing the brightness of reflections (all of the new 3D series have better filters, but the VT30's are darker.) He confirmed that the ST30 and GT30 have the same panel, and that THX is the only real picture quality difference between them.

The rep also stressed that he hadn't been fully briefed on all of the differences in the new plasmas, so this information is, as usual, subject to change.

Back