• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

$3,000 to spend on a 2 channel system

TKoP

Looking for the best 2 channel system for a college graduate music lover-- store bought or DIY, with or without sub.... GO!

A plug for @Flint to build some. Otherwise is this a nearfield setup on CPU? Or what is the listening environment?

Many great options depending use and future intentions. Again largely to do with use and intentions the latest powered options paired with a good sub make for an intresting and streamlined option.

I should give a little bit of background -- she got the idea when she came over and I had her listen to some music on my DIY Usher 2.5 system. You can see the speakers here. The room has changed a LOT since, but the speakers are still the same. Her initial request was about building some speakers. I have some knowledge there, but other than Flints uber-bleeding edge drivers, I know very little about what's out there and what may or may not be good.

I also wanted to look to see if there might be some more conventional options that she should look at -- again, it's been forever since I went auditioning, I'd have no idea what's till good, meh or just plain bad. I didn't remember anyone going through this process lately here, but definitely could have missed it so thought it'd be worth a shot to go ahead and ask.

And I did think about Flint -- if I were any where near Flint, i'd already be ringing his doorbell. I've heard the system he had two rigs ago, and that was already amazing. I can't imagine what his current rig is like right now since it sounds like each was a big step forward.

Focal and Dynaudio speakers are good in that price range. I wouldn't bother with a sub until she settled into her own house and wants more than great music, like surround.

For amps, I am growing to think big receivers are pretty pointless when most of us have one or two sources and bluetooth. Hell, I argue a decent 100 watt, or so, digital amp with Bluetooth and two analog inputs would be ideal, she could then spend more on the speakers and upgrade in the future as she learns more.

I could certainly build something still able for that price, perhaps with a 9" - 10" woofer and a killer tweeter. Plenty of output and deep bass in one mid-sized package. I could even put a brightness switch on the crossover to choose between a natural sound of a brighter retail sound.

Focal and Dynaudio speakers are good in that price range. I wouldn't bother with a sub until she settled into her own house and wants more than great music, like surround.

For amps, I am growing to think big receivers are pretty pointless when most of us have one or two sources and bluetooth. Hell, I argue a decent 100 watt, or so, digital amp with Bluetooth and two analog inputs would be ideal, she could then spend more on the speakers and upgrade in the future as she learns more.

I could certainly build something still able for that price, perhaps with a 9" - 10" woofer and a killer tweeter. Plenty of output and deep bass in one mid-sized package. I could even put a brightness switch on the crossover to choose between a natural sound of a brighter retail sound.

A friend of mine recently mentioned that Focal must be clearing out for an updated lineup.
Their current generation stuff is 50% of or more (dependent on color).
Based on some non-critical listening I had at his house recently...I would definitely give the Aria's a good listen.

Back