• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

4k, 60fps vs 30fps - is it that important?

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
I am planning on getting a new tv,

http://www.costco.com/LG-70"-Class-(69.5"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-Smart-LED-LCD-TV-70UH6350.product.100287073.html

for $1049 I believe, and will be replacing my current 60inch LED tv.

I am completely behind with the new display technologies, so I need your opinions about it.

I have this AVR,

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-1123-K

which can support 4k at 30fps and not 60fps,

the question here lies,

is there a significant difference between 60 and 30, and hoping that I do not need to upgrade my current AVR. I plan on getting a 4k blu-ray player, its also from Costco.

i cant splurge so much, and need to be under budget thus the LG unit.

thanks for your opinions.

I'm interested to see what the intelligencia say here.
As a basic geek, I'm not sure why this would matter.
If you record something at 4k 30fps or 4k 60fps, would it not be able to display the 60fps video?

apparently my AVR can only do 30fps, so that's what im concerned about. if the source is putting out 60fps...

4k blu-ray player - 60fps => AVR can only do 30fps => TV can output 60fps, will it work?

im assuming this is the whole HDMI 1.4 thingamajig...

as ive mentioned, I am outdated.

Will it function? Yes. Will you get 30fps while using that AVR? No. They are all backwards compatible.

wait, I thought since my AVR can do 30fps I can at LEAST hit that mark right?

I don't think I can get 60fps based on what the manual indicated.

IF I go straight up blu-ray player => tv, I can display 60fps, but if I feed it in the AVR I'd be only getting 30 fps.

is there a significant difference?

Most movies are 24 fps so you should be fine. The Amazon Fire TV supports 2160p up to 30fps. I believe the Hobbit films were shot at 60 fps but those aren't in 4K yet.

wait, I thought since my AVR can do 30fps I can at LEAST hit that mark right?

I don't think I can get 60fps based on what the manual indicated.

IF I go straight up blu-ray player => tv, I can display 60fps, but if I feed it in the AVR I'd be only getting 30 fps.

is there a significant difference?

Just like any improvement in fidelity, with content which is extremely well produced and designed to take advantage of the added clarity and motion realism 60fps offers, yes, it makes a significant difference. For content which was originally created in 24fps (older films) then converted to 30fps (for TV) then converted to 60fps for your new bluray player and TV, the difference will be minor, if at all.

If you can watch an high-action sporting event captured and shown in 60fps, it will make a huge difference. Remember the opening beach scene in "Saving Private Ryan" where dirt, explosions and all that stuff is flying around and it looks pretty jerky and snappy? That was the result of being shot at 24fps and a weakness of the technology which the director took advantage of. If it were shot at 60fps it would just look real, like you are there in person.

So, does it matter? Maybe, it depends on what you like to watch.

got it, thank you everyone! seems like im going to be getting this tomorrow then. :D screw the 60fps for now, I cant afford it anyways, so I might as well enjoy it the way it is.

too bad I cant have 3d with it, it seems to be a passé item at this point and/or an addition, and not a main deciding factor no more.

woot!

So, does it matter? Maybe, it depends on what you like to watch.
THAT!

Jomari,

I completely dislike 24fps "film" that's displayed at any other frame rate.

I have friends who's flatscreen is set upconvert everything to 120Hz, with maximum motion interpolation etc. and it almost makes me sick to watch it. Such hyperrealism is a huge turnoff!

I love that the Sharp Aquos flatscreen in our family room HT displays native 24fps movies at 24fps.

But it all comes down to a matter of taste.

Jeff

I agree, Jeff.

If the director designed the experience around the limitations of the film he chose to use (24fps, exposure, shutter speed, etc.), the playback at home should be as close to that as possible to experience the content as intended. I said that about all the popular grainy films, like Eraserhead or Sin City, which have been released long after the filming tech had advanced so far for accurate reproduction. Then I'd see people smooth, upscale, sharpen, and cleanup the intentional image noise, which ruined the impact.

Sorry for the thread hijack Jomari but...

Flint,

This got me thinking about how my feeling towards "sound" is exactly opposite to how I like "video." How I recoil from "unnatural" presentation of "film" yet long for sound that's dynamic, noiseless, and flat of frequency response. My brain is wired bass-ackwards - at least it would seem that way.

When I listen to an older sound recording I get turned off by hiss, by other noise, by the lack of lows and highs, by the lack of dynamics, by... even if this was the limitation faced by the original recording engineers etc. I have to fight to stay with it; to ignore the limitations and appreciate the music / musicianship.

Not so with the visual experience. Case in point: give me the original black and white version, no matter how good, or even perfect, the colourization process might be (as but one example.)

Jeff

THAT!

Jomari,

I completely dislike 24fps "film" that's displayed at any other frame rate.

I have friends who's flatscreen is set upconvert everything to 120Hz, with maximum motion interpolation etc. and it almost makes me sick to watch it. Such hyperrealism is a huge turnoff!

I love that the Sharp Aquos flatscreen in our family room HT displays native 24fps movies at 24fps.

But it all comes down to a matter of taste.

Jeff

Confused. How would refresh rate and motion interpolation change the frame rate of the film when replayed on your screen?
Is this the shit that causes the "screen door" effect when camera panning has that weird feeling of unintended movement?
I hate that crap, but didn't think that was a frame rate issue.

The "screen door" effect is related to pixel spacing. What Jeff is referring to is the "Soap Opera" effect.

what about DSE, or the Dirty screen effect. apparently this is a challenge with the bigger screen sizes, including the one I want.

I think I got my question answered

1. the 60fps wouldn't necessarily matter, unless the material mattered to you (in this case, sports wouldn't matter to me, ergo the 60fps doesn't either yes?)
2. the AVR I believe will NOT be able to reproduce the 60fps I think. oh well, I am not in the mood nor will get the clearance to purchase a new AVR either. a new 4k blu ray player is already pushing the line.

In order to accurately convert 24fps to 30fps in the old worl
what about DSE, or the Dirty screen effect. apparently this is a challenge with the bigger screen sizes, including the one I want.

I think I got my question answered

1. the 60fps wouldn't necessarily matter, unless the material mattered to you (in this case, sports wouldn't matter to me, ergo the 60fps doesn't either yes?)
2. the AVR I believe will NOT be able to reproduce the 60fps I think. oh well, I am not in the mood nor will get the clearance to purchase a new AVR either. a new 4k blu ray player is already pushing the line.

Yeah, but do you like action movies like Fast and Furious? Those would look better in 60fps

bit the bullet, just like Towen did.

went to costco tho, and they of course were out of stock. Nov 18 they had it not only on sale for 1099 but dropped it down further to 999 plus their 5 year warrantee was supposed to be for 89 dropped to59. thats why most if not all of their stock was gone by the time i got there.

i did tho, go to best buy on saturday, and bought meself a clearance LG unit, its a 65 but i think im happy with it.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65UH9500-4k-uhd-tv

its their super UHD panel, one more coating or layer above the UH8500 series.

the key compoenent, and why i bought it even at a its price, was its 3d. Yes i have a 3d projector, but the convenience of watching it on my display was a convenience factor i appreciated later within the weekend.

its originally at $2499.99 but it dropped to $1799.99, and i had to pay 1k for my 3d convenience.

worth it? maybe not. but after i started playing with it i felt better.

i also got myself a migraine yesterday, and stuck with it until today from watching an overbright monitor. its supposed to hit 1000nits (i dunno what that means), but man, i love it. im going to play with it later.

DSE? Vertical banding? 3D crosstalk? yup, this panel has most of it, but i lucked out, its not as bad.

DSE? Vertical banding? 3D crosstalk? yup, this panel has most of it, but i lucked out, its not as bad.

I don't have those problems, but you have something pretty awesome that I don't have. An extra $4200 in your pocket.

Back