• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

4K upscaling BluRay player!!!

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Okay, true video enthusiasts, who's lining up outside their local Best Buy on May 4th to get the new Sony BDP-790 4K upscaling BluRay player???

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/24/sony ... in-stores/

This thing has GOT TO ROCK!!! With 4x the output resolution of a standard BD-Player, it must be better, right? RIGHT???

Oh, wait! None of you have a 4K display to show all those pixels on? Well, have no fear, I am sure Sony has a plan for that.

JVC's new projectors are 4K and I believe Batman has his Batsights set on one.

bat03.jpg

Flint said:
Oh, wait! None of you have a 4K display to show all those pixels on? Well, have no fear, I am sure Sony has a plan for that.
And the whole new set of connection cable business too.
91.gif
dollar.gif

koufax65 said:
Just another scam to be put along side "3D".

While the marketing of the player may be a scam right now, through the natural progression of things, eventually we will probably all have 4k displays. I don't see how that could be a bad thing when looking at the big picture.

It might seem as if it's scam-like marketing to those of us with displays smaller than, say, 100 inches. But if you've got a 120+" screen, I think you'd not only notice but also appreciate the higher resolution.

Zing said:
It might seem as if it's scam-like marketing to those of us with displays smaller than, say, 100 inches. But if you've got a 120+" screen, I think you'd not only notice but also appreciate the higher resolution.

I don't think you will need a 100 inch screen to appreciate it. I think anything north of 50 inches you will be able to see the difference. Maybe someone who has seen it can say for sure though.

Huey said:
I don't think you will need a 100 inch screen to appreciate it. I think anything north of 50 inches you will be able to see the difference. Maybe someone who has seen it can say for sure though.
I couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p any further than 2 feet away from a 64-inch screen. Now that I have an 80-inch screen, I only sometimes see 720p's limitations. And the difference between 1080 and 720 is more than double. So I gotta believe quadrupling the resolution will need a lot of screen real estate before the benefits become obvious.

If higher resolution TVs aren't important, then why is the "retina display" (tm) so impressive?

Flint said:
If higher resolution TVs aren't important, then why is the "retina display" (tm) so impressive?
Because it's an apple product. Duh.

IMHO... Resolution matters, but it's not a 1:1 ratio. Four times the pixels won't yield four times the picture quality.

I agree w/ T7 on this. I think 1080p does look better than 720p even on most smaller sets. I don't think it looks twice as good, though.

Also, until 4k material AND 4k displays are available, this doesn't even excite me a little bit. An upscaled image looks worse than the same image at its native resolution, IMHO.

John

Two weeks ago I was at the NAB show in Las Vegas and I got to see a few dozen demonstrations of 4K displays, content, cameras, editing suites, and mastering platforms. I can say, it does make a difference with well captured and edited content. Most of the demo content was nature or bad music videos.

I also saw a demo of 3D 4K where the content was in the forest with natural lighting and a very long depth of view - WOW! It was about as close to real life as I have ever seen. Most of the demos I was impressed with were on 50" to 70" displays and we were standing about 5 to 10 feet away.

Back