• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

60inch TV Swivel on a false wall, opinions?

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
so, with the new place i have the dilemna of placing my tv setup.

id like it on the fireplace area, so i can have a farther viewing space but cant see it while having dinner.

or

put it against the wall, but have a shorter viewing angle of about 6 feet or so.

if i put it on the fireplace area, i can buy a thick plywood or wooden structure, and mount this,

71vW5SKY58L._SL1500_.jpg

then mount the tv on it so i can swivel it.

heres the layout of the room...
fromdoor2_zps4d654933.jpg

I would consider my primary viewing first and foremeost. If that means you can see it from the dinner table, thjats fine. If not .. well... dinner should be spent soclializing with the people you are with, not watching TV anyway.

I think he's saying to COVER the fireplace and put the tv there. I think.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDmDdB-yFTY[/youtube]

Rope

Didn't Randy just buy something a LOT like that for his living room?

sorry i didnt explain it thoroughly, boss came in office and of course catches me posting this...

so, the tv stand looks like this,

hemnes-tv-unit__0176602_PE329457_S4.JPG

and was going to mount the big slab of wood at the back of the panel, so i can attach the wall swivel on it, instead of directly on to the fireplace itself.

fromdoor_zps15540e51.jpg

Wifey also doesnt want to install it directly over fireplace either, thus my only choice is this, or consider getting a new tv stand with wheels.

or just watch tv on the shorter end of the room.

we have the full hemnes stand set too,

hemnes_1-725434.jpg

Rope said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDmDdB-yFTY[/youtube]

Rope

thanks for the video rope, i just watched it now from work...

thats awesome!

its also a bit pricey... hehehe. swivel mount at $569.00 plus shipping.

its an absolutely great product, plus made here too!

wifey didnt want a swivel stand, so we opted for this. she showed it to me, and i guess its a go...

http://www.amazon.com/Bentley-Mounts-CM ... ley+mounts

61LFH5gOjaL._SY355_.jpg

aint the best looking one, but i guess under 200 clams, we gonna be able to have best of both worlds.

id have to tuck in all my components in that upper left hand shelf. i can also work with it, but dont know what to do with our current tv stand set now. :angry-banghead:

You're going to put all your components on a fixed shelf... And run a power and HDMI cable to a bracket on a rolley-stick? And put THAT in front of the fireplace for normal watching?

Really?

Those other cabinets looked so much nicer that that would. If your committed to watching TV at the dinner table (not my idea of dinner but to each their own) instead of compromising your primary viewing and how the room looks... What about getting a small TV and mounting it in the kitchen dining area.

i know towen, sounds redonkulous and i have to admit i agree with you on this. but you know the drill, happy wife, happy life.

i DID do some compromising, i plan on getting a smaller tv as you mentioned, and with haywood talking about that tcl tv, it might be a good option or alternative. are there wireless hdmi ports out there? or maybe a splitter, i will see if i can use that dayton wireless sub thingy and see if i can run av in it.

anyways, i think im still set at heart with the tv on the fireplace area.

i LOVE our whole cabinet system, i mean, if i get it to work i can even mount a screen on top of the shelf and have my pj as well. perfect viewing distance, and well, no need to run too much cables.

heres the question tho. it will stick out of the fireplace 'area' and will eat up almost a foot more than the edge of the walll, but i THINK its okay since i can see the first step of the stairs will be where it will land. it will 'feel' a bit cramped, but i can deal with that. the open space on the left? i dunno what im doing with it, f*dge it, the whole entertainment system will cover it up.

if i have the tv on the wall, id be already cramped with the tv viewing in compromise. pulling the sofa daily would be a pain, what more the surrounds. i really dont want to do that.

Just keep in mind that those TCL sets are decidedly low-end and do not have great black level. All the reviews I've read say they are better than most cheap sets and perfectly acceptable for a bedroom or a kitchen, but are probably not what most people are looking for in a primary display.

Don't over think this. The roll-ey stand is not a great idea. This is your home, something your should be proud of, and you're going to be looking at that for years. Do you really want to see power and HDMI wires stretching from your equipment rack to a rolling stand? Every single day? For years? Your primary TV options are on the wall to the left of the fire place or over the fire place. My vote is on that left wall. You can easily place your equipment in that niche next to the fireplace. It'd be a little work but shouldn't be to hard to hide the wiring for your speakers and video cable.

Option 2 is above the fire place. Either use a mount like Rope suggested or live with it being a littler high.

Either way you are going to need a second display and STB for the dining area. Yeah, it's more money but that's what comes with home ownership.

thanks to some great discussions folks,

wifey now considers that we are keeping the display or the main unit on the fireplace side, and pretty much viewing angle set for more comfort, realistically for the long run.

the dinner and a show :happy-smileygiantred: will now be officially considered a close case. we are going to go with a separate tv, putting it on a shelf close if not right in front of us (hahaha!) adding either a new box or find some el cheapo rca splitter wireless so i can piggy back from my at&t box in the living room.

other than that, it brought about other good points... i will have to post in the other thread.

as someone wisely said, we have limits on our compromises, and this is a house im living in, not a makeshift rental. live spend a bit to enjoy it in the long run. and no, i dont want to stare at my tv on a stick idea.

oh, the main set will be separated, and will have the main console used for what it is, then add on some speaker stands for the LR speakers (or worse, just put underneath the main tv, like the LCR)...

Back