• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

720p

nats

720p plasmas can be had for a song while they last, for mostly sports with an occasional movie In a light controlled room,Would the picture rival a good lcd?(sony bravia)

Resolution is over-rated and misunderstood by most consumers. The "need" for 1080p is dependent on the combination of screen size and viewing distance. While you may be able to see a slight difference between a 1080p set and a 720p set when doing head to head comparisons, is that slight difference worth the price? Another question is whether you are okay with knowing that you don't have the latest/greatest?

For me, if you can control the light very well in a room then plasma would be my only option. Some plasmas (particularly the Panasonics) have an anti-glare screen. Still not as good as a LCD's, but better than having a standard screen. Even though LCDs are getting better in PQ, I still think plasmas have better detail (especially with blacks) and their higher refresh rate is a no brainer for the sports fan.

EDIT: (just seen T7's post). I have to agree about 1080p vs 720p. I have a 720p 50" plasma. Mine was about 1600 when I bought it. Now you can get one for about half that. If I had to buy a TV today, I would get the exact thing I have now and save my money.

I wouldn't consider 1080p, unless the display is over 50", and seating is ultra close.

I view my 720p from 8', and have no desire to own 1080p.

Rope

Rope said:
I wouldn't consider 1080p, unless the display is over 50", and seating is ultra close.

I view my 720p from 8', and have no desire to own 1080p.

Rope

50" 720p display, 10-11ft for me. I still don't have any regrets. Matter of fact, I would like to add a second one downstairs.

im thinking about moving the 46 in bravia into the living room and getting a 50 inch plasma in the sports/movie room. Just dont want to be dissapointed in the plasma compared to the sony since a 50 inch would be to big for the living room. Plus it has a lot of light

it will be hard to see the difference between 720p and 1080p at 10 feet. However if you go over the 50 inch range 1080p might be a worthwhile investment once you get to the 60-inches and above.

I still have a 720p 50 inch plasma and am completely happy with it.

i went with a 50 1080 p because i sit 7 ft away ,otherwise if it was 10-12 ft i would have went with720p

Back