• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A Blu-ray feature that I really like

D

Deleted member 133

Here's something I've only just noticed, as I expand my Blu-ray Audio collection. It might apply to Blu-ray movies as well - but I'm not sure.

You know those four coloured buttons on your Blu-ray player's remote? The red, green, yellow and blue ones? Well some discs actually make use of them!

Among others, here's a case in point: XTC's wonderful Nonsuch album. Each button gives direct access to an audio mode as follows: Red (5.1 DTS-HD); Green (5.1 LPCM); Yellow (Stereo); and Blue (Instrumental).

Now that's really cool in my books. No need to menu surf to change modes.

Different disks are free to code to these buttons however they'd like. I've seen one with a 7.1 DTS-HD and a 5.1 DTS-HD.

Jeff

It's the same with movies and has been for years. I find it more aggravating than useful because their functions are not consistent from movie to movie and sometimes not even consistent within the same studio. Push the yellow button on one disc and it could give you audio options. On another disc it may switch languages. I have yet to be impressed with them although I haven't tried to use that feature in 6-7 years.

I've seem them utilized before mostly with interactive online features available on some BDs.

Last edited:
See, I'm not too old to learn new things!

I'll take more notice each time I pop a disc in to see what features they might be keyed to.

Jeff

Thanks, I never could figure out that "feature" from the Owner's Manuals.

Among a small number of other labels that I have noticed, the "2L - the Nordic sound" Blu-ray Pure Audio discs have the key/legend printed right on the back of the case, for each particular disc. I always thought it was just fancy colour-coded graphics and never made the connection to the remote's buttons.

I know, I know. Bad on me. But I'm happy I now know! :)

Jeff

Back