• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A different sort of speaker - Semi-Outdoor Patio Rig

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Here's a set of interesting speakers I designed and built a couple of years ago for one of our community members.

They are bass reflex loaded with a 6.5" woofer, 1.1" ring radiator tweeter and finished with weather-proof sealants and paint which will hopefully protect them well enough to last for a decade or so of use on a covered patio.

Dyn_Outdoor_20190609_160149.jpg

Dyn_Outdoor_20190610_091956.jpg

Dyn_Outdoor_20190602_122128.jpg

Dyn_Outoor_Installed_A.jpg

These were designed to be mounted high on the wall, near the ceiling, when all of the bass reinforcement that placement contributed to the output.

Here's the real world open space amplitude and phase response taken while on speaker stands on my patio (not their final location):
Final_Crossover_FR_Phase.jpg
(ignore the SPL being so high, I spliced a bass curve to a midrange-treble curve and didn't adjust the SPL to reflect the actual output, it was at 1W, so it should be around 87dB SPL)

Here's the 1/6th octave smoothed pseudo-anechoic response (spliced ground plane and free-field responses):

Left_OnAxis.png

Here's the dynamic response:
DynamicPerf_1-10-100W_GroundPlane.png
(as you can see, that little woofer can generate >95dB SPL down to 70Hz, which is nothing to scoff at. With boundary reinforcement from the wall and ceiling, this should do at least 107dB SPL at 70Hz fair easily)

I remember seeing that thread and thinking how cool it was to have bespoke speakers, especially on a patio.

Thanks for the measurements.

Back