• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A good mate for the Monitor7

Maximo

I have decided on the Paradigm Monitor 7 as my new front pair. I would like a vertical matching center. The Atom has the same driver compliment but is it too small for a decent center channel? My other recourse could be to just get three Mini-monitors.

What say you?

Personally, I would vote for the three Mini Monitors.

That aside, I think the Atom is not the best choice for a center speaker if it's going to be flanked by the Monitor 7s. True, same drivers, but the crossover is slightly higher and I think you'd hear that difference more than you would any difference from the larger mid/bass driver of the Mini, which is a more capable speaker.

I think the center channel issue is going to force me to do three mini monitors. Just didn't want to do stands...

I found at target two stands for bookself that fold down and similar to ikea.

I placed the JBL 2600 bookself speakers on top the the bookself from target on each side of the display. Filled the racks with CD/DVD/BR and nick nacks. I also purchased from the closet factory a 3/4 in shelf that spans the two cabnets to support the center speaker at the same level and over the screen. I have not been able to get my pictures to load up easily.

Target bookself stand is 12 to 18 inchs wide 4 ft high, 8 inches deep. 4 shelves
shelves fold up on hinges and the sides fold in to collapse and put away.

Well, unfortunately, the way my mind works is that I have already formulated a plan to have a guy in our shop cut me some 1/2" or thcking plate steel that I can cover with hardwood and sue as a weighted base for my stands. So I would build my own. Which is one of many reasons why I didn;t want Bookshelves. But, it seem to be the best way to go.

Definitely. I will be taking pics for the whole evolution. Should be really slick if everything works out. My take a little bit because wife gets a new $2000 leather couch with dual end-cliners in it first. Which will be AWESOME because it puts me in the sweet spot sitting in a reclined leather situation.

Is there any good material out there that is known for use to listen to the pan from L to C to R to try and timbre match the center to the mains. Still stuck on towers. I am ok with going with a mini monitor for a center but I would like to hear the difference.

I think you'd need hearing like the bionic woman to engage in a test like that. I think the object is to get as close as possible and/or not deviate too far from the sonic characteristics of the speakers. If you want to set up three similar speakers, run a panning sound effect across them and be able to tell if they match, you're a better man than I am.

As for the reference material, I can't think of any particular music that you could use but the first movie that comes to mind is A Few Good Men. At the beginning, the Marine Drill Squad are doing their thing with their rifles. For about 2 minutes, it's nothing but panning back and forth across the front three speakers.

Ok, well I found a guy on CL selling Paradigm Mini monitors V3 for $400. I am assuming that this price is for all six of them, but I am waiting to hear back.

Question is, what is a good price for these speakers? Is a $100 a speaker too much? Especially considering that we are on V6 and I can get a brand new pair for $415.

Maximo said:
Is there any good material out there that is known for use to listen to the pan from L to C to R to try and timbre match the center to the mains. Still stuck on towers. I am ok with going with a mini monitor for a center but I would like to hear the difference.

Actually, there is a great test you can do... the level adjustment tones built into most receivers and preamps. Play the band-limited Pink Noise test tone in each speaker and listen to the tone change as it switches from Left to Center to Right. In an ideal setup the tone sould remain identical as it moves across the front (and even as it moves to the rear speakers).

Maximo said:
Ok, well I found a guy on CL selling Paradigm Mini monitors V3 for $400. I am assuming that this price is for all six of them, but I am waiting to hear back.

Question is, what is a good price for these speakers? Is a $100 a speaker too much? Especially considering that we are on V6 and I can get a brand new pair for $415.

I just sold my pair of nearly new MiniMonitors on Craigslist for $300. The older model is worth less, but anything from $75 to $100 per speaker is a decent price, especially if they are in good condition.

Thanks FF. Now that you say that I remembered that you had a pair of these and liked them. What version were yours?

My first "Real" speakers were a pair of Monitor 7 (v.2).... and I freakin loved em!!!!

Hmmm...I might have to pass. Those MM's are Really deep (no good for a center channel) and everything is big and black. Wife likes small and not black. (insert your own joke here).

So I may just stay the course and buy new.

What about a Paradigm Millenia 20 as a center? I like the idea of having a low profile center blending in with the TV.h

Ok, new deal has arisen. I can get a pair of Monitor 7's v5 or a pair of studio 20's v3. Both for the same price. What would you do? Remeber, I am not a critical listening music guy. I am a movies and tv guy.

I use Studios in the front and Monitors in the back and the tonal match between them is damned near perfect. It is barely detectable with pink noise and completely invisible with source material.

Back