• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A lesson in subwoofers please

Maximo

So, I picked up the Klipsch KW 5802. Probably be at least next week before I get it installed (if I install it and not just flip it for a profit).

Anyway, that got me thinking. I have a PSB Subsonic 7 that I like very much, exept for its looks. I am currently mulling over the idea of rebuilding the cabinet to make it a downfiring sub and veneering it with something nice looking (maybe rosewood).

Anyway, I understand the principals of cabinet bracing, volume, etc... But then I got to wondering, what if I bought a new driver. Because where I want to put the sub, I can actually allow for MORE volume, because it would look like a table when I am done (sort off). And that got me thinking about the HSU VTF15(?) and some day seeing what it would take to build somethign similar. Yes I realize that IB is vstly more popular, but that won't afford me to work in my shop. Also seriously thinkg about reveneering my paradigms. Which I am surprised that more people don't do give the relative ease of such a project.

So my question is simple, given that the amplifier in the PSB is adequate, can I salvage that amp for a new sub build? I figure, power is power and the rest is proper driver selection, cabinet design and port tuning.

Right?

I'm sure you could salvage the amp, but why not sell both subs and buy something you like?

I imagine those subs will work better than your first attempt at cabinet design.

I hear you on wanting to start a project. I would hold on to one of the subs though, just in case the results aren't what you had hoped. If you nail the new build, sell the other sub later. There are plenty of plate amps and drivers at Parts Express. Go wild!

Huh, I hadn't seen those parts express kits before, that's cool! Anyone every built/heard one of those? WardsWeb?

Sorry for the hijack, Maximo.

No hijack. I have always lacked on my sub knowledge and know I am catching up. Flint has recommended these for a long time.

Flint recommends the Dayton Audio 10" Titanic. A friend of mine purchased/assembled one years ago and I traded him an SVS cylinder sub for the Titanic and cash (I wanted a sub for the master bedroom and the SVS was too big). I was very happy with the Titanic but it wasn't getting used very much so I sold it to another friend for his main system and he's extremely pleased.

My brother bought the Titanic kit as well and I assembled it for him. It was pretty straight-forward and took about an hour. It's definitely a good little sub.

Over at S&V I posted detailed plans for two versions of a killer 12" sub based on a titanic woofer. If If anyone can find that thread, I can check the new version of the woofer in those cabinets.

Flint said:
Over at S&V I posted detailed plans for two versions of a killer 12" sub based on a titanic woofer. If If anyone can find that thread, I can check the new version of the woofer in those cabinets.

And here it is: :text-link:

Ok so the wife and I had a discussion and when given the chocie she was in favor for me selling the Klipsch then installing an IB in the back right corner. So my big question is, will my Behringer A500 drive a 4 ohm subwoofer? It has ratings for 4 ohm when runing in stereo mode but only rating for 8 ohm when runnin in bridged mode.

I am wanting to learn as much as actually acomplish something.

EDIT:

So PE sells this thing.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=295-455

An IB specific? subwoofer that is 8 ohm. Sounds promising. Thohts on that?

I would not run the Behringer A500 at high levels into a 4 ohm load for sustained periods. It is stable in stereo mode into 4 ohms, but once you push it too its limits at 4 ohms, it will not perform well. Definitely do not attempt to use it bridged mono into 4 ohms with a high output subwoofer.

If you can get two drivers you could wire them in series and get a good 8ohm load and run it mono, but then I worry about the max output per woofer.

Basically, with an IB subwoofer you need a solid amp which can drive the woofer at about 1/2 its rated max sustained power capability. So, if you buy a woofer which can handle 800 watts continuous, then you want an amp which can handle a solid 400 watts into the load of the woofer. That is a safe range which will niether hurt the amp nor hurt the woofer.

I prefer to use prosound amps for these applications as they can handle the sustained high current output without issues. Today on Craigslist I saw a guy selling excellent QSC amps which would be perfect at about $200 each and another guy who had some Crown amps which would be good for about $150 each. I am sure you can find what you need. I really like the QSC RMX 2450. Very solid, appropriately sized, and a great value.

Maximo said:
thoughts on the listed woofer?

The woofer in the plans is still available from Part Express and hasn't been revised. Therefor all those plans are still spot on. Just build them as designed. However, be very careful to verify the dimensions of the MDF pieces as I chose to assume the MDF was exactly 3/4" thick. If it is 25/32", then things need to be adjusted by 1/16th of an inch. If it is 27/32", then things need to be adjusted by 1/4".

Just lay it out on paper and do the math.

sorry, I bounce around alot. I was back to considering the IB sub again. Considering that the PE IB specific sub is a 15" 8ohm woofer I figured that it would be a perfect match for the behringer which has 300 watss RMS/600 watts peak at 8 ohms bridged.

Back