• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A possible Dish upgrade, unannounced

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I don't watch much TV, I do a half-hour of Headline News in the morning before going to work, CBS local and nat'l news at 5:30, Big Bang Theory on Thurs night, and a few assorted shows on Saturday/Sunday if I'm home.
I've noticed, these last couple weeks, that when I turn on the TV in the morning, its always set to HLN, even though I wasn't watching HLN the night before when I turned everything off; likewise, it comes up on CBS after work, even though the system was on HLN that morning when I shut it down. Seems like the Dish Hopper is "Smart-selecting" my channel for me based on time of day/day of the week; that's cool, but they haven't mentioned anything about it, and I've been keeping track so it's not my imagination.
Any other Dish captives notice this?

Botch said:
I don't watch much TV, I do a half-hour of Headline News in the morning before going to work, CBS local and nat'l news at 5:30, Big Bang Theory on Thurs night, and a few assorted shows on Saturday/Sunday if I'm home.
I've noticed, these last couple weeks, that when I turn on the TV in the morning, its always set to HLN, even though I wasn't watching HLN the night before when I turned everything off; likewise, it comes up on CBS after work, even though the system was on HLN that morning when I shut it down. Seems like the Dish Hopper is "Smart-selecting" my channel for me based on time of day/day of the week; that's cool, but they haven't mentioned anything about it, and I've been keeping track so it's not my imagination.
Any other Dish captives notice this?

I think you may be on to something. I too have the Hopper and have noticed recently that the thing usually powers on to the channel I want to watch. I chalked it up to the probability that I typically watch same 4-5 channels but perhaps Dish is working smarter. Just tonight when I was in the basement with the kids, I turned the TV on and boom, there was the baseball game. I watch it every night so it could have been a leftover, but I dunno. Now that I think about it I seem to watch certain shows on certain TVs in my house. I went from thinking you were 100% right while typing this to kinda skeptical. So I am gonna test this theory and I am tuning my office TV to random station tonight and I'll see what happens in the morning. If the Playboy channel comes on the a.m. I will be super impressed by Botch's sleuthing skills!

I was wondering why it seemed to be tuned to the Dish channel so often when I turned it on. It seems at least on mine, that's the only channel it wants to tune to.

I don't know about Dish but the company I work for will rollout updates to a small number of users while they monitor the systems for problems caused by the update and to measure consumer reaction. There may be several small updates done in different markets that get rolled up into a bigger update that is deployed to bigger and bigger subsets of customers.

Back