• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A question on calibration

mzpro5

Famous
An acquaintance of mine bought a 42" Panny Plasma for his GF for Christmas.

I haven't talked to him in over a year but yesterday he sent me an email proudly telling all he had done to "calibrate" the set. Apparently he found AVS on his own and found a "guru" who says they are a pro calibrator, goes by the screen name of D-Nice. Well along with telling this guy (the acquaintance with absolutely no experience in TV's, HT or anything) to go into the Service Menu and make some "minor changes" (it appears that thou the potential was there he didn't screw anything up) he gave what I see as questionable advice.

D-Nice told this guy he needed to download a slide show to run for 100 hours - not to avoid image retention or burn in but " This would age the panel and pixels uniformly". I have to honestly say this was a new one and I'm thinking this acquaintance was being suckered a bit. I mean I would figure if yo just watched TV and movies over a period of time things would "age uniformly" anyway.

Oh and another thing he was told to calibrate the set in a totally dark room with no ambient light - not in the setting the TV is viewed in. so he took it into a basement laundry room and "calibrated" it.

Any thoughts?

Re: A question on pixels

D-Nice has a long history as an experienced calibrator who routinely posts his procedures and settings for new TV's as they come out. He qualifies his revised settings as correct only for the set he's testing and that variations will be normal for anyone else's similar model. For a novice, going into the service menu is risky because any mistakes could cause major problems. He always recommends strongly that if you do go into the service menu you should write down all existing settings BEFORE you change anything. Running a slide show to "uniformly age pixels" is a common recommendation but I'm not sure that the benefit of this procedure has ever been proven.

Re: A question on pixels

Orbison said:
D-Nice has a long history as an experienced calibrator who routinely posts his procedures and settings for new TV's as they come out. He qualifies his revised settings as correct only for the set he's testing and that variations will be normal for anyone else's similar model. For a novice, going into the service menu is risky because any mistakes could cause major problems. He always recommends strongly that if you do go into the service menu you should write down all existing settings BEFORE you change anything. Running a slide show to "uniformly age pixels" is a common recommendation but I'm not sure that the benefit of this procedure has ever been proven.

Thanks O. At least I can let the guy know D-Nice knows what he is talking about.

This guy is a real novice and when he said he went into the service menu I thought "uh oh" but it appears he didn't do any damage.

what about doing the calibration in a dark laundry room?

I believe that he'd get a better picture for regular viewing by calibrating in his normal environment or conditions. But I would say that low lighting conditions or complete dark would give him the most technically accurate picture that may not necessarily mean it will look the best in his regular viewing conditions...

Who would question a guy named D-Nice? I could understand taking caution with a guy"D-Evil", or a "pissydude".

Insert whistling smiley here.

Back