• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

A random cool system

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Didn't quite know where to post this, so here 'tis:

313754_566604980025823_741753495_n.jpg

Was posted for me on one of my musician's forums. I recognize the electronics and the freestanding horns, but what is that curvy phone-booth thingie in the middle rear? Some kind of folded-horn sub?

I think they look really nice in silver, most of the pics I have seen show them in candy apple red. So Ward's Web, DIYer, have you heard the Aventegarde's or if not what is the buzz on how they sound? Also how much do they cost?

I've heard smaller Aventegarde speakers and most people know I love horns, so it isn't a stretch to believe I like them. A full horn system has to be heard to really understand. The music envelopes you, it has depth like you can walk into the music and a very open forward sound, like when you hear music coming from the next room and then you walk into the room. As for this system, it is for the 1% audiophiles. At a base of around $70,000 it is no where near reasonable. Add a full compliment of 6 BassHorns and the price doubles. Fun to see and read about but not within the grasp of most people.

I haven't listened to them but I remember soundhound talking about his experience with them. He said he wasn't impressed especially given the price.

^ Thats hardly damning. Afterall, when was Sounhound ever impressed with anything other than his own stuff?

I've heard these things in another setup from the one in the photo. They have great dynamics, which can be a very refreshing and exciting thing with a good natural recording. That said, they tend to not blend well together with audible issues with Lobing, group delay, phase shift (especially in the midrange), and less than ideal frequency response. I also think these particular horns tend to introduce a bit of that odd "horn sound" that most attractive looking horns often to have. The best horns I've heard are pretty ugly, and the Altec horns like the 511 and 811 sound great only after dealing with the perfect on axis issue and the ringing.

Flint, got any pics of an ugly horn speaker that sounds great? Also can you expand on the "perfect on axis issue"?

TitaniumTroy said:
Flint, got any pics of an ugly horn speaker that sounds great? Also can you expand on the "perfect on axis issue"?

Well, the VOTT is an example, as is the K-Horn. Both are pretty to people like me who find any great engineering design attractive because it is an engineering marvel. Most people think they are pretty ugly.

As for the issue with sitting perfect in front of the center axis of an exponential horn's output, that sound tends to be very intense, sharp, and painful and one of the reasons for PA systems constant directivity horns were invented. They traded ideal fidelity for a balanced sound over a broader range, including the on-axis response.

DIYer said:
Flint said:
and the ringing.
Ringing as in the resonance caused by the horn's body?

There are several types of artifacts horns can generate which are often referred to as "ringing". One is the simple resonance of the horn itself, metal horns tend to ring at higher frequencies and for longer and plastic horns at lower frequencies for less long. Another is from the wavelength of the signal being less than 4x the diameter of the mouth which can cause that resonance in the horn from geometric space, for a 1" throat horn that starts at 13,536 Hz. Yet another is from the rectangular shape of the horn and the rate of flare.

Flint said:
DIYer said:
Flint said:
and the ringing.
Ringing as in the resonance caused by the horn's body?

There are several types of artifacts horns can generate which are often referred to as "ringing". One is the simple resonance of the horn itself, metal horns tend to ring at higher frequencies and for longer and plastic horns at lower frequencies for less long. Another is from the wavelength of the signal being less than 4x the diameter of the mouth which can cause that resonance in the horn from geometric space, for a 1" throat horn that starts at 13,536 Hz. Yet another is from the rectangular shape of the horn and the rate of flare.

I did my math wrong, the frequency where start for a 1" throat is actually 1/4 what I posted above. Actually the resonant ringing issues can start at 3,385Hz and happen at each harmonic to that frequency.

I will start a new thread in projects and invite Flint to review and comment on the horns. Pictures on the build will follow at later time.

Back