• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

About to pull the trigger on a new car stereo

Haywood

Famous
The CD player in my Jetta's stock radio died, so I've decided it is time to replace it. I wanted a double-din unit if possible, because it will look more stock. I also wanted to get something with BlueTooth hand-free and audio streaming. This fits the bill and also has USB, AUX and iPod control, plus the ability to add XM or HD Radio. I could get a control module to connect it to my steering wheel controls, but I think that would be a wasted $70 since I almost never use them.

Pioneer FH_P8000BT

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P8000BT/Pioneer-FH-P8000BT.html

x130P8000BT-o_mt-1.jpeg

I'd move up a few bucks for a model that streams A2DP Bluetooth, this particular unit does not. Once you start streaming music via Bluetooth you won't want to plug in at all. Kenwood, Clarion and Pioneer all have double dins that do, Kenwood and Clarion both have a very similar looking unit...not sure about Pioneer. You can get into touch screen DD's for around $399 for those features, Pioneer has one that you can use some apps on like Motion X GPS.

I can vouch for Kenwood Bluetooth functioning very well as I have ne in my Saab, I believe they use Parrot (as does Pioneer) I've heard a mixed bag on Clarion. Check out SonicElectronix.com for some nice buys, they aren't a certified reseller for some but they add their own warranty. They get great feedback with unbeatable prices. Shop there and Amazon, Crutchfield is the best but you pay full pop unless you get a sale or outlet stuff.

This unit actually does have A2DP Bluetooth capability.

My budget is limited. This unit with everything needed to install it comes out to $366 from Crutchfield. I did quite a lot of price shopping and nobody was significantly cheaper once I added in the wiring harness, trim kit, etc. SonicElectronix was close to the same price in the end, due to the higher cost of the harness and the fact that Crutchfield throws in the trim kit. It was basically a wash. I also read a LOT of reviews online and this unit got consistently great feedback.

Dig into the reviews, I didn't purchase this one because the reviews were extremely mixed on the Bluetooth, specifically the music streaming. Maybe they updated the model, but I know this one is older as I was looking at it in 08'. Most of the issues I saw were people complaining about compatibility with newer Bluetooth devices.

Sony XAV-62BT Touchscreen is $279, I almost picked it up when Sony was selling it for $229 at their outlet, There's also a few versions of this JVC under $300 which is similar to the Pioneer if you don't like touchscreen. A few of the Subaru guys have the JVC and feedback is good. I read good reviews for it's Bluetooth functionality.

kwhdr81bt.jpg

Call Crutchfield and really question them on the Pioneer, I came close quite a few times to purchase because I really like the style of it, looks more OEM.

Yeah. It looks like Bluetooth phone stuff is great, but the music streaming is highly phone dependent. I'm not sure if this is a deal killer for me or not, because I was planning to buy an iPod Classic, load it up and toss it in the glove box. If I don't go with this unit, I need to either spend close to a hundred bucks more or go with a single-din unit. I was originally looking at this Alpine, which does work well with my phone (I paired it in a store to find out).

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE136B ... ml?tp=5684

no love for the Sony touchscreen?

One of the local stereo places stocks that Pioneer, I can pop in and see how well it works with an iPhone and perhaps my daughters Samsung Focus if she's around.

The flaw with the Pioneer is that I'm going to drive this car a few more years and then hand it off to my daughter to get her thru college, so this radio is going to have an 8 to 10 year lifespan. If it doesn't play nice with a lot of phones now, it will only get worse with time.

Haywood, don't waste your time with an iPod classic. Just grab a portable HDD and load it it up with music.

I have 2 32GB sticks and a 320GB HDD I keep in the glove box of my truck. Throw the player on "random" and you're done.

The only advantage I can see to using an iPod is being able to have playlists, or being able to take your tunes portable. But the huge disadvantage is dealing with iTunes.

D

Alpine's are bulletproof, I put one in my ex's car that is easily 20 years old and it still works.

Thinking more about the Bluetooth, maybe getting one with an add on adapter is the way to go as they update those frequently. Then it would be possible to change the adapter for under $100 if it goes by way of Dodo and stops working with newer phones. There are HU's like Pioneer AVIC's that update via firmware but are over budget, though I see them used quite frequently.

Doghart said:
Haywood, don't waste your time with an iPod classic. Just grab a portable HDD and load it it up with music.

I have 2 32GB sticks and a 320GB HDD I keep in the glove box of my truck. Throw the player on "random" and you're done.

The only advantage I can see to using an iPod is being able to have playlists, or being able to take your tunes portable. But the huge disadvantage is dealing with iTunes.

D

:text-+1:

I use a stick some but an iPod mostly but I had it before getting the car. The best part about the iPad is the organizing ability.

Haywood said:
...........I could get a control module to connect it to my steering wheel controls, but I think that would be a wasted $70 since I almost never use them.............

I have one of those if you want one. I bought one when I upgraded the Jeep with the Kenwood I have now. I did use the steering wheel controls a bit with the OEM unit, but to be honest, have not missed them with the Kenwood installed.

The module is still in the box, unopened, sitting on a shelf in my garage. If you change your mind, PM me your addy and I'll try to send it to you.

The Sony touchscreen got very mixed reviews with complaints surrounding iPod functionality, BlueTooth audio cutting out, obnoxious demo screens that are really hard to turn off and no ability to auto-resume music after a phone call. At the moment, I am leaning toward this unit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bZfVjVxpLEX/p_130P2400BT/Pioneer-AVH-P2400BT.html

x130P2400BT-o_whiteleft.jpeg

It gives me the ability to add rear seat video, a backup camera, navigation, HD Radio and XM later if I ever want to and all the reviews look great. There are 2100 reviews on one site and the average rating is 4.5 stars. It is a little more than I wanted to spend, but not enough more to be a deal killer.

I like that Pioneer. That's what I would like if my Jeep had a DD in it.

As for Kenwood, I've had great luck with it. The only downside is accessing my music on the fly and the refresh rate seems slow if you've got a lot of music to scan through (I'm not one to hit play and go...I like to surf a lot through my list). The Bluetooth is excellent. On the way to see my brother in Kentucky, I was streaming music from my HTC EVO, while the phone's nav was also running, and I could still answer calls through the headunit and the music/nav would resume where it was stopped. I used the charger on my phone for fear the battery would be dead in an hour. The phone was hot as hell when I got to Lexington (4 hours later).

I have a touch screen and they Are nice but raise the old driver attention issue.

I consider myself an excellent driver so am a bit embarrassed to admit I have caught myself several times unsafely diverting my attention from driving to fool with the screen.

I am not saying touch screens should not be used but at least in my case I have to remind myself not to fool with it while moving.

Oh yeah yesterday in tha mail I received, from Ford, a USB drive to update the MySync system in the Edge.

I have not installed it yet but think it is neat that your car can now get an electronics upgrade via this process.

mzpro5 said:
Oh yeah yesterday in tha mail I received, from Ford, a USB drive to update the MySync system in the Edge.

I have not installed it yet but think it is neat that your car can now get an electronics upgrade via this process.

I wonder if you can hook up your laptop to the car's USB, and download firmware updates that way? It would be quicker than waiting on the mail to send you a USB drive.

Also, unless you have to mail them back, maybe save the drives to use as additional storage for music and/or other files. :dance:

Yesfan70 said:
mzpro5 said:

I wonder if you can hook up your laptop to the car's USB, and download firmware updates that way? It would be quicker than waiting on the mail to send you a USB drive.

Also, unless you have to mail them back, maybe save the drives to use as additional storage for music and/or other files. :dance:

Actually I have already done one upgrade by going to a website and downloading files to a USB and then loading to the car.

I'm thinking there are some big files on the USB and that is why they sent one out instead of going the other route.

Haywood said:
The Sony touchscreen got very mixed reviews with complaints surrounding iPod functionality, BlueTooth audio cutting out, obnoxious demo screens that are really hard to turn off and no ability to auto-resume music after a phone call. At the moment, I am leaning toward this unit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bZfVjVxpLEX/p_130P2400BT/Pioneer-AVH-P2400BT.html

x130P2400BT-o_whiteleft.jpeg

It gives me the ability to add rear seat video, a backup camera, navigation, HD Radio and XM later if I ever want to and all the reviews look great. There are 2100 reviews on one site and the average rating is 4.5 stars. It is a little more than I wanted to spend, but not enough more to be a deal killer.

All of the Subaru guys seem to be using the DD's from Pioneer and Kenwood. Alpine is a distant 3rd, part of me thinks it's price and the other part is, well, ugly. That unit you linked to looks the same as the 20 year old unit in my ex's car. Most are AVIC's, but then it's a 50/50 split of the $4-500 Pioneer/Kenwood touch screens.

-B- said:
Alpine is a distant 3rd, part of me thinks it's price and the other part is, well, ugly. That unit you linked to looks the same as the 20 year old unit in my ex's car.
Ah, but I could operate that Alpine while keeping my eyes on the road. Like mzpro I feel the newer units are just too distracting and difficult to use in a vehicle, and I've read more than one article that automakers are starting to realize that...

EDIT: Incidently, I would've been sideswiped TWICE this past week had it not been for my horn. The first one was a lady on a cellphone, not paying any attention (at the next stoplight I gave her a piece of my mind; she wouldn't even put the phone down). The second one was first thing in the am and dark, couldn't see the driver, but I was on the bike! :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

Botch said:
-B- said:
Alpine is a distant 3rd, part of me thinks it's price and the other part is, well, ugly. That unit you linked to looks the same as the 20 year old unit in my ex's car.
Ah, but I could operate that Alpine while keeping my eyes on the road. Like mzpro I feeling the newer units are just too distracting and difficult to use in a vehicle, and I've read more than one article that automakers are starting to realize that...

I also have steering wheel controls for music, climate etc. but still find myself reaching for the screen. Takes getting used to.

Back