• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Accurate-rip

REWalk86

I previously only ripped my CDs to a portable friendly MP3 (I was young and didn't know any better). I'm planning to rip all my CDs to FLAC as over the past year I've been using my Zune less and less and Google Music (which supports FLAC) more and more. This means I can now rip all my music to FLAC and have a single, high quality library.

When researching programs to use I saw "accurate-rip" mentioned frequently (e.g. MediaMonkey Gold). Does anyone know if this is worth it, or would MediaMonkey free do the trick? I've also seen dBpoweramp and Exact Audio Copy recommended. I'm not averse to spending a few bucks, but if I don't have to that would of course be great. Thoughts?

Somewhat unrelated, but I did bring it up...Google Music is great for taking your tunes on the road. If any of you have an Android device and haven't checked it out, I highly recommend you do (I think it is on iOS, but only as a web app). It wasn't that great on my HTC Incredible (somewhat clunky and unrefined), but on my Galaxy Nexus I have absolutely no complaints with it.

I've kinda wondered about that myself. I think mostly it's a non-issue, I certainly haven't had any problems with the 800+ albums I've ripped to FLAC using the standard read/rip in Media Monkey. Except those few rare CDs that I couldn't rip with any settings or software, because of some manufacturing issue in the CD itself. (I think this has happened to me twice.)

I don't regret purchasing dbPoweramp one bit. Along with the peace of mind of knowing that rips are accurate, it also allows you to set up different profiles. Each profile allows you to specify the encoder, path, and naming convention. I have a profile for normal albums, one for compilations, and another for soundtracks and I have these for both FLAC and mp3 for a total of six profiles.

CMonster said:
I don't regret purchasing dbPoweramp one bit. Along with the peace of mind of knowing that rips are accurate, it also allows you to set up different profiles. Each profile allows you to specify the encoder, path, and naming convention. I have a profile for normal albums, one for compilations, and another for soundtracks and I have these for both FLAC and mp3 for a total of six profiles.

What he said. dB is the shit. I love the batch converter too.

Back