• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Acoustic Panel Material (Coverings)

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
I've read that Guilford of Maine material (specifially the FR701) is the aboslute best material you can use for covering an acoustic treatment panel. Given the fact that it's 300% more expensive than burlap or jute, it begs the question "why?".

You can see light through burlap; you can blow through burlap; it's soft, natural and absorbant. So why would a person spend $18 to wrap a panel when they could spend just $6?

Zing said:
I've read that Guilford of Maine material (specifially the FR701) is the aboslute best material you can use for covering an acoustic treatment panel. Given the fact that it's 300% more expensive than burlap or jute, it begs the question "why?".
Links, images ... anything? Sigh! :angry-tappingfoot:
You can see light through burlap; you can blow through burlap; it's soft, natural and absorbant. So why would a person spend $18 to wrap a panel when they could spend just $6?
It may have to do with fire code compliance for commercial use. Some jurisdictions require flame retardant treated fabric for commercial interior such as curtains and wall coverings.

Here, I did the link for you. http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/guilford-of-maine-fabric-fr701-style-2100

The fancy fabric doesn't add or remove anything from the performance of the acouistic panel.

For an acoustic absorber, though, a fabric covering which also absorbs is a fine choice - as long as it doesn't block or reflect any sound.

The reason Guileford of Maine is worth the price includes:
- fire rated for commercial buildoing codes
- doesn't stretch, shrink or fade
- can be used on both absorbers and reflectors and diffusors interchangeably for a consistent appearance.
- colors and patterns can be purchased anytime and they will look identical.

There are probably other reasons to use it, as well.

Jute, burlap, linen, cotton and other natural, open-we?e fabrics are fine for DIY, but any of the above issues could occur.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm getting ready to install 2 panels on the ceiling and I'm trying to determine which routes to take: whether I go with 2" or 4" panels and whether I order the supplies and make them myself or buy them pre-made.

To make them look like I want them to, it seems like it'll cost me more to make them myself, though that isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison since what I'd make will be way cooler that what I could buy.

jamhead said:
Why are you using absorption on the ceiling?

as opposed to diffusion?
This is not for directly overhead (or behind) but rather out in front of it at the ceiling's reflection point.

I probably have a bit more diffusion than most considering my ceiling is beamed but given the small size of the room, I think there are gains to be had by treating those points.

Zing said:
I probably have a bit more diffusion than most considering my ceiling is beamed but given the small size of the room, I think there are gains to be had by treating those points.
Is this the same room shown on S&V as "small HT"? If not, what's the ceiling look like?

DIYer said:
Is this the same room shown on S&V as "small HT"? If not, what's the ceiling look like?
No. New house altogether.

The room I'm currently using has a height of almost 9 feet, has a wooden beam running down the center lengthwise, and has 5 beams running across its width. The center beam is about 8 inches in depth whereas the each of the cross beams are about 6 inches.

Flint said:
The fancy fabric doesn't add or remove anything from the performance of the acouistic panel.

For an acoustic absorber, though, a fabric covering which also absorbs is a fine choice - as long as it doesn't block or reflect any sound.

The reason Guileford of Maine is worth the price includes:
- fire rated for commercial buildoing codes
- doesn't stretch, shrink or fade
- can be used on both absorbers and reflectors and diffusors interchangeably for a consistent appearance.
- colors and patterns can be purchased anytime and they will look identical.

There are probably other reasons to use it, as well.

Jute, burlap, linen, cotton and other natural, open-we?e fabrics are fine for DIY, but any of the above issues could occur.

Rope

Have a couple small "Monster Fabric" badges made, and stick 'em on! :p

I posted a few pics on the other forum when I bought new speakers but I have plans to completely gut the room and redo it. So I'd probably prefer to unveil the nice new room as opposed to the old crappy one that I currently have. Plus, I'm not 100% that I'll continue to use a sunken den as an HT. I've been toying with the idea of moving it to the basement.

So, in short, and to quote a line from The Last Boy Scout, I don't know if I'm shot, f***ed, powder burnt or snake-bit.

Back