• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Acoustic Treatments

Mr.6

Hey everybody,

Here are some pics of the front wall and sides to my home theatre. What type of acoustic treatments should I use for this setup and where should I put them?

Let me know if you need more info or pics.

Thanks for your help.
35221A92-7324-472D-9D47-75C41EB87198.jpeg

012226A7-0118-42E8-9BF9-B9C596B2A92A.jpeg
B0F9DC4F-2EC3-4CE4-B84D-9E23B29EFD0E.jpeg

I believe the conventional wisdom around here is that the first reflection points are the most important to treat. Finding them is easy, especially with the help of another.

1. Remove the grille from the left front main.
  2. Sit in your preferred listening position.
  3. Have someone slide a mirror across the left wall at the same height as the left main tweeter.
  4. When you can see the tweeter in the mirror, mark that spot (blue masking tape).
  5. Replace grille and remove grille from right front main.
  6. Slide mirror across right wall.
  7. Mark spot.
If you've run a sweep of your room, you should know whether two, four or six inch thick panels will be sufficient. Basically, the thicker the panel, the lower the frequency it absorbs. So if you're just trying to tame some high frequency harshness or some echo, two inch thick panels will suffice. If you need to correct peaks and/or nulls in the mid range, go with four inch think.

If you haven't already done so, there are some wonderfully informative threads pinned in this section that were written by Flint that cover this topic in great detail.

Hey everybody,

Here are some pics of the front wall and sides to my home theatre. What type of acoustic treatments should I use for this setup and where should I put them?

Let me know if you need more info or pics.

Thanks for your help.
View attachment 11563

View attachment 11564
View attachment 11565
Wow, that looks sharp!

Pull those front speakers out from the front wall a bit more for better sound stage/imaging.

Along with what Zing recommends, you also need some absorption right behind the front right and left speakers.

Do you plan to buy these treatments or make them?

What size is that display? Make and Model?

Your sub placement may not be optimal, however some simple sweeps will tell you that. What are the room dimensions?

Finally some good ole' audio/video stuff on here!!!

Wow, that looks sharp!

Pull those front speakers out from the front wall a bit more for better sound stage/imaging.

Along with what Zing recommends, you also need some absorption right behind the front right and left speakers.

Your sub placement may not be optimal, however some simple sweeps will tell you that. What are the room dimensions?

Yes, I have been trying to fjgure out the new basement and brushing up on acoustics again.
What the other guys stated will get you along way.
Subscribed and dont forget to update us.

Also, you may try putting a panel Behind the center channel speaker and below the display and a rug on the floor In front of the center channel

I believe the conventional wisdom around here is that the first reflection points are the most important to treat. Finding them is easy, especially with the help of another.

1. Remove the grille from the left front main.
  2. Sit in your preferred listening position.
  3. Have someone slide a mirror across the left wall at the same height as the left main tweeter.
  4. When you can see the tweeter in the mirror, mark that spot (blue masking tape).
  5. Replace grille and remove grille from right front main.
  6. Slide mirror across right wall.
  7. Mark spot.
If you've run a sweep of your room, you should know whether two, four or six inch thick panels will be sufficient. Basically, the thicker the panel, the lower the frequency it absorbs. So if you're just trying to tame some high frequency harshness or some echo, two inch thick panels will suffice. If you need to correct peaks and/or nulls in the mid range, go with four inch think.

If you haven't already done so, there are some wonderfully informative threads pinned in this section that were written by Flint that cover this topic in great detail.

I have read some of the stuff Flint posted. My problem though is with the right wall and the stairway coming down. I'm wondering if it's going to be problematic.

Thanks for reminding about the mirror trick.

Wow, that looks sharp!

I thought that if the speaker's exhaust port is in the front I can position them closer to the wall. Those Paradigm Studio 100 by the way.
Do I still need the absorption panels behind the speakers as well? Let me know if I'm wrong about speaker placement.

I plan on building them myself.

Thats a Sony 77" TV, model: 77A80J. Bought that in July.

The sub is going to be difficult to place. I can put it there or I can place it on the others ide of the left speaker.

The front wall is 15' across, and about 25' long.

Mr.6

Also, you may try putting a panel Behind the center channel speaker and below the display and a rug on the floor In front of the center channel

The center speaker's exhaust is towards the rear and was hoping someone would mention putting a panel under the display. I forgot to mention that I do have a rug but it's not in the pics because it is out being cleaned.

Mr.6

I thought that if the speaker's exhaust port is in the front I can position them closer to the wall. Those Paradigm Studio 100 by the way.
Do I still need the absorption panels behind the speakers as well? Let me know if I'm wrong about speaker placement.

I plan on building them myself.

Thats a Sony 77" TV, model: 77A80J. Bought that in July.

The sub is going to be difficult to place. I can put it there or I can place it on the others ide of the left speaker.

The front wall is 15' across, and about 25' long.

Mr.6

Yes, put absorption panels behind the speakers, this will reduce the sound bouncing from the front wall and improve clarity.

The further out the speakers from any boundary the better the depth of field and imaging. Play with it, you will be surprised.

Try multiple sub locations, sometimes inches help at the main listening position.

Nice Display, are you loving it???

What is your ceiling height?

Have fun!!

Yes, put absorption panels behind the speakers, this will reduce the sound bouncing from the front wall and improve clarity.

The further out the speakers from any boundary the better the depth of field and imaging. Play with it, you will be surprised.

Try multiple sub locations, sometimes inches help at the main listening position.

Nice Display, are you loving it???

What is your ceiling height?

Have fun!!

Yes I am loving the display. Out of the box the picture quality is amazing. Love the size too. The blacks are impressive as well. Mot much to dislike about this TV.

Ceiling height is about 7.5'.

Any recommendations to what I should be listening to when playing with speaker placement? Or just go with what I like?

Yes I am loving the display. Out of the box the picture quality is amazing. Love the size too. The blacks are impressive as well. Mot much to dislike about this TV.

Any recommendations to what I should be listening to when playing with speaker placement? Or just go with what I like?

Something you like and are familiar with.

Try tuff that has good bass, mid range, treble, and is dynamic (soft parts and loud parts). You may need to use a number of tracks to get all of that.

What Randy said.................

Here is a go to for me, only because it has it all, except for Death Metal...............

There should be music coming from all over the room if you speakers are set up correctly.

Also, put some bass traps, you can make these also, in your front and rear corners floor to ceiling, that will tighten up your mid and lower bass.

Also when it comes to bass, try to find tracks that have deep bass but also articulate bass.

A friend and I were hanging on the boat last weekend listening to some tunes and Lito Shuffle by Boz Scaggs came on. Not my normal demo stuff, but were both blown away by how articulate and and musical the bas line (especially the intro was).

We replayed it several times even though it was streaming. Now I need to find a high rez version.

The bass in my boat (deep bass and mid bass) honestly will embarrass a lot of high dollar home systems (mine included, although I would consider mine high dollar)

Also when it comes to bass, try to find tracks that have deep bass but also articulate bass.

A friend and I were hanging on the boat last weekend listening to some tunes and Lito Shuffle by Boz Scaggs came on. Not my normal demo stuff, but were both blown away by how articulate and and musical the bas line (especially the intro was).

We replayed it several times even though it was streaming. Now I need to find a high rez version.

The bass in my boat (deep bass and mid bass) honestly will embarrass a lot of high dollar home systems (mine included, although I would consider mine high dollar)
I will give that a listen tonight. any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Also movie scenes would be good too.

Mr.6

I will give that a listen tonight. any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Also movie scenes would be good too.

Mr.6

Check the top 3 (pinned) threads in this section. LOTS of good stuff in there.

Another question regarding my setup. In my 5.1 setup should the rear speakers be at the 90 degree position from where i am sitting or in back of me at approx 110 degree? The back rest for my seating is higher than the speakers so if i put them in the rear the back rest will block the direct sound from the speaker.

Thanks!

You've got to work with what you have and what sounds best to you in your room. The surrounds should be "slightly behind" and "slightly above" ear level when seated. If you need them to be at 98.5 degrees or 113.288 degrees to get the best performance, no one will tell you you're wrong.

You've got to work with what you have and what sounds best to you in your room. The surrounds should be "slightly behind" and "slightly above" ear level when seated. If you need them to be at 98.5 degrees or 113.288 degrees to get the best performance, no one will tell you you're wrong.

Yeah. I'm just wondering if the height of the seats will affect the sound seeing as it is not direct. I guess I'll have no choice but to play around with it and see what I prefer.

Back