• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Acoustics, What Acoustics?

Personally, I’ve never been a fan of the amps on the floor look. Especially front and center.

In a rack, as invisible as possible- aesthetics only.

But, it is good practice to have the shortest speaker cables as possible. Reducing resistance by using short speaker cables in advantageous. So, if not placed as seen in the photo, one could stick the amps behind the speakers, but they are best being as close to the speakers as possible, especially if you are driving high SPLs, have low sensitivity speakers, or the speakers present a difficult load. So, there are solid technical reasons for an amp to be in the front near the speakers. How one presents them depends on the user.

That said, I agree that gear in the front of a room is distracting. When I had a full HT surround system, I put everything in the rear of the room other than the crossovers and amps which were near the speakers.

Thanks Flint. I understand why some would do that - just aesthetically - I don't like it. I've seen so many photos where the amps are dead center, as if the focal point of the room, sitting on the floor (I've even seen some with ambient lighting on them). Just my personal taste.

Thanks Flint. I understand why some would do that - just aesthetically - I don't like it. I've seen so many photos where the amps are dead center, as if the focal point of the room, sitting on the floor (I've even seen some with ambient lighting on them). Just my personal taste.

I agree, I want a room with no distractions at all and nothing but a comfortable seat and amazing sound so I can get lost in the music. I don't like the cult of gear who worship their idols of excess, one upping each other on who can afford to spend the most and show off to the greatest extent. I get that completely.

But, if one does have large amps (and I admit that most of those overpriced amps do a very good job of amplifying signals and driving speakers), they are best placed as close to the speakers as possible. They should be at the front which generally means visible. But, I don't think they should be lit up and put on pedestals for worship. I consider that worshiping a false god.

Although - as part of my quirkiness - I find walking into a room with massive speakers on full display to be perfect room décor.

Amps; no
Massive speakers; yes.

:)

Well, I kind of like the look. If I was uber rich I might just have a dedicated 2 channel room that looked like that with the amps right out there front and center.

I understand where a compromise has been made because the system is not in a dedicated listening room or the spouse says no way to disrupting the rooms design esthetic, but for systems where there are options not taken, I don't. The room is the number one thing that affects the sound.

Back