• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Actual Amp / receiver question - Holy crap!

jamhead

Here's the deal. I tried to watch a movie (Elf) in my dedicated theater on Saturday and my receiver wouldn't turn on. The Receiver, a Rotel RSX1056 (yes - I've owned for about 16 years), would not turn on. The Red power LED was on...but when pressing the power button...nothing. So, turn off rocker in back, unplug, wait, plug back in, and... nothing. Then, tried again the following morning and it came on. Left on for 2 days and then turned off again today to see what happens. This has happened periodically, but never this bad. So - I start thinking. Do I look into an updated receiver? Pre/Pro? I begin looking and am very underwhelmed by the crap that's out there. It's like a race to see how many amp channels you can stick in a box. Anyway, this is current state:

Dedicated Room - symmetrical
Acoustically treated
Dynaudio Contours s3.4 mains; s1.4 center; SR surrounds - all of which are 4ohm. 86-ish db sensitivity
PSA Sub (dual 15" sealed model)
Rotel Receiver powering center and surrounds
ATI 1802 amp powering mains

Here's my challenge. I don't need 13 channels of amplification. I don't need 100 different surround modes. I don't need 8 HDMI inputs at 8K.

What I want:
Either a receiver that I can run preouts to my ATI for mains and enough power to adequately power center/surrounds
Pre/Pro and another amp

Challenge:
Pre/Pros seem to be excessively expensive due to the aforementioned things I don't need
Receivers that have all that crap and the amplifier sections are garbage.

My request to the fine "in the know" members here (I have ignored all things HT related for over a decade and see why after beginning to get back into it).

Are you aware of a pre/pro or receiver that would fit my needs here? I looked at Anthem and their new MRX lines of receivers and the big negative to me (every thing else looks ok) is the fan noise within the component itself. Deal breaker. Then there are the usual suspects - Onkyo; Marantz; Yamaha; Denon.

If I go separates, I would like to add an ATI 3 channel - but it seems the only model they have would be the equivalent to the 1800 model - so I would end up with 2 ATI amps (one 3 channel and one 2 channel) which seems overkill.

As I start to look into this, my head begins spinning. Plus, the snake oil remains awfully high - still....

I'd rather not spend hours trying to find something that fits the bill.
Priorities:
1) Excellent sound quality
2) 4K video pass through for eventual upgrade to projector
3) 5 channels - any more would be a waste

Really - looking for some options you may have experience with (either use or by measuring on a bench) - I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

The Marantz Cinema70s is small semi-affordable has all the preouts and is damn good looking. It’s $200 off on Amazon Prime too.

Last edited:
The Marantz Cinema70s is small semi-affordable has all the preouts and is damn good looking. It’s $200 off on Amazon Prime too.
I am running the Cinema 70s as a 2.1 in our living room. I bought it as a replacement for my pre/pro in the HT, once I upgrade to 4K.

This little unit is great! The Pre-outs were the main reason I bought it other than 4K.

Thanks for helping me with the purchase Chris!

That Marantz is a sweet looking unit!! A bit bigger and clunkier looking but could be an option, the Integra DRX 3.4 ?

Back