• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Again I felt stupid...long time ago.

Bote

Back in the 90s i put up a small mobile disco gear rental service. Since I was a noobie on it I didn't want any trouble while doing the service. As i had only one set I thought it would be disastrous if it malfunctioned. So at the onset I bought the best gear that my money then would allow...peavey amps, audio technica mixer, technics 1200 turntables, jbl woofers and mid high speaks, neutrek connectors , shure mics and... Monster cable speaker wires!!! All 80 meters of it!

I then went to other rentals' gigs to observe and what i saw them using as speaker wires were black thick ones which were alien to me. I asked and boy did i feel so stupid! They were all using simple royal chord electric wires...cheap and durable!

After that each time we had our own gig I cringed at the sight of people stepping on my nice pink and expensive monster cables!!! I still have them though because i could not sell them when i sold everything. I guess i was the only stupid one to fall for it.:gross:

Not stupid. You fell for the marketing and the sales pitch. Someone made a ton of money off you. But it wasn't stupid. Just a bad decision.

True story, the only reason I joined the original S&V forum, and later moved to this forum, we because a group of 5 of my audio professional friends felt there was a need to stop the juggernaut which was Monster, Bose, and other esoteric nonsense gear trends which was wasting people's money for very little to no benefit. We wanted to change the market through education and hoped the market would react by slowly moving towards more logical and impactive products and services which really made audio and video more enjoyable for the money.

likewise bote,

we all have had certain experiences, thats why we end up wiser afterwards.

life cant teach you any lessons if you cant fail at one to hold its true value.

kobayashi maru.

Not stupid. You fell for the marketing and the sales pitch. Someone made a ton of money off you. But it wasn't stupid. Just a bad decision.

True story, the only reason I joined the original S&V forum, and later moved to this forum, we because a group of 5 of my audio professional friends felt there was a need to stop the juggernaut which was Monster, Bose, and other esoteric nonsense gear trends which was wasting people's money for very little to no benefit. We wanted to change the market through education and hoped the market would react by slowly moving towards more logical and impactive products and services which really made audio and video more enjoyable for the money.
Yes! I recall those posts about the Bose cubes costing 20$ and selling for 200$! And those other posts about them bragging about how nice their Bose sounded and most of us members at s & v secretly giggling. How could i forget those funny anecdotes about Bose folks the guys at s&v would tell?

My boss had the 901 from Bose and after about a couple of years to our surprise it sounded like there was a guy gurgling with Listerine inside. When we opened the grill all the rubber or foam of the drivers disintegrated! Amazing products for them!!?:thumbsdown:

Btw Flint what is your take on silver speaker wires? Have you tried any?

Technically silver is more conductive than copper or aluminum, so on paper you can move more current over a given length of silver than you can over the same length and thickness of copper. But one can remedy that difference simply by using thicker copper, thus reducing the resistance of the copper to match the silver. Since silver costs so darn much, most cannot afford 16 feet of 16AWG silver wire. Given that 16 feet of a thicker 14AWG copper wire costs very little and will perform just as well as silver, then that's a better choice.

When it comes to speaker wires, I see no value in using silver other than merely to brag and show off how wealthy you are that you can buy silver speaker wire.

On the tiny microscopic electric contacts and leads used to connect CPUs and other components together and to system boards, silver is a great choice as it allows for less space be occupied to design those super dense systems. So, in your smartwatch or phone silver leads are logical, but not in speaker wires.

Flat out, I do not believe that any certain speaker wire design is superior to basic heavy gauge copper speaker wire. None of the esoteric designs have ever shown in the most basic scientific studies that they sound better or different.

Technically silver is more conductive than copper or aluminum, so on paper you can move more current over a given length of silver than you can over the same length and thickness of copper. But one can remedy that difference simply by using thicker copper, thus reducing the resistance of the copper to match the silver. Since silver costs so darn much, most cannot afford 16 feet of 16AWG silver wire. Given that 16 feet of a thicker 14AWG copper wire costs very little and will perform just as well as silver, then that's a better choice.

When it comes to speaker wires, I see no value in using silver other than merely to brag and show off how wealthy you are that you can buy silver speaker wire.

On the tiny microscopic electric contacts and leads used to connect CPUs and other components together and to system boards, silver is a great choice as it allows for less space be occupied to design those super dense systems. So, in your smartwatch or phone silver leads are logical, but not in speaker wires.

Flat out, I do not believe that any certain speaker wire design is superior to basic heavy gauge copper speaker wire. None of the esoteric designs have ever shown in the most basic scientific studies that they sound better or different.

Hell, copper is expensive enough these days. No way I could spring for silver or see any reason to.

Reason I asked is because i got one with the same length as my rega speaker wires. At least to my ears the rega sounded muffled in the midrange area which i did not notice before i bought the locally made silver wire. The silver sounded brighter. I tried it many times and it sounded to me like i described. However i could not stand the sound of the silver when used with my audio nirvana full range speakers. The sound it gives is so shrill it hurts my ears. Not so with the rega.

It baffles me because most other person i heard talk about wires would say it should not be.

Not once in history has a double blind study shown that a or only functioning speaker cable will audibly impact the sound. Some high end cables actually fail to function transparently because the are high impedance, have excessive capacitance, or actually have embedded electronics, but those are intended to alter the signal.

My sentiments too. But what i heard told me differently. If only i could send you those wires so you could see for yourself.

Besides both of them are not considered high end . The rega is a flat wire type while the silver is just ordinarily skinned with regular insulations you see in other wires for speakers.

Are the wires really silver? Or, are they tinned copper? If they are silver they will have cost a small fortune.

And how about the exposed ends of the silver, how are you terminating and keeping the connection clean. Wife polishes her silver to keep it clean frequently. Corrosion adds resistance.

Back