• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

AKG K701 vs. AKG Q701

mazersteven

Has anyone had a chance to audition the AKG K701 vs. the AKG Q701 Quincy Jones?

Flint your a AKG fan, any thoughts :?:

I have had both in my home and while I prefer the regular 701, the Q701 has the same treble and midrange with a tad more bass. I tend to recommend them over the regular 701 to most people who I think would prefer the boomier bass. If you cannot live without a sub in your home, you would probably prefer the Q701.

My employer has an incentive program that awards point for exceeding targets. You use those point to buy items from a catalog. I've been considering a headphone purchase and learned today that the catalog has both the 701 and Q701. I have enough awards points to get them both. I may endup getting both to do a back-to-back comparison. Or I could get the 701 and any of the others in the catalog. Sadly the Sennheiser HD800 costs more points than I have available.

Other options in my points-range are the Ultrasone PRO 2500, Sony MDR 7520, Audio Technica ESW9A, Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B (noise canceling), Sennheiser HD558, and Audio Technica AD700.

While I no longer have my K701's to make a direct comparison, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any increase in low frequency oomph in the Q701's is subtle at best.

_DSC4106.jpg

_DSC4098.jpg

Perhaps it's subtle because they're the exact same headphone except for the paint sceme and detachable cable?

Rope

Rope said:
Perhaps it's subtle because they're the exact same headphone except for the paint sceme and detachable cable?

Rope

Attachments

• homer-simpson-doh.jpg
    homer-simpson-doh.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 3,831
Rope said:

Rope

That would be funny, but it is not the case. Quincy Jones played a role in retuning the bass of the 701 to be a little stronger.

Flint said:
Rope said:

Rope

That would be funny, but it is not the case. Quincy Jones played a role in retuning the bass of the 701 to be a little stronger.

I believe Quincy decided on the color and the detacahable cable.

Rope

Zing said:
While I no longer have my K701's to make a direct comparison, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that any increase in low frequency oomph in the Q701's is subtle at best.

_DSC4106.jpg

_DSC4098.jpg

Just about to purchase a pair of these (in the lovely limey green) for ~$175 (slightly used).
A bit pleased if I do say so myself.
:banana-rock:

The DirtMerchant said:
Zing said:

_DSC4106.jpg

_DSC4098.jpg

Just about to purchase a pair of these (in the lovely limey green) for ~$175 (slightly used).
A bit pleased if I do say so myself.
:banana-rock:

Make that $160.
Boom

I wish I could grab a pair of the Q701's for a couple days without buying them. I hated the 701's thin bass lacking sound so if they added some bass I maybe coulde like them. But AKG got me to buy the 701's at one point.... and I dont want to make that mistake again. LOL!!

walls said:
I wish I could grab a pair of the Q701's for a couple days without buying them. I hated the 701's thin bass lacking sound so if they added some bass I maybe coulde like them. But AKG got me to buy the 701's at one point.... and I dont want to make that mistake again. LOL!!
Don't waste another second wishing. If the anemic bass of the K701's was dissatisfying to you, the Q701's will do nothing to change your perception. The only reason I opted to buy the Q's (after being dissatisfied with the K's) was because I preferred them over my Denons when they were connected to my piano. For general music listening, I vastly prefer the Denons.

Back