• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

AKG K701

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
Chalk one up for these cans - finally!

Using the Boz Scaggs CD "Dig", that Tee and Ray turned me onto this weekend, the AKGs have finally found some media rendering them preferred over the Denon AH-D7000. In fairness, this CD has ridiculous amounts of bass. I don't know if it was anyone's intent but I'm guessing the bass is about 10dB too hot on this disc. Because of this, it's a sloppy, boomy mess in the Denons. However, with the AKGs, each and every song is sheer sweetness.

I guess I'll wipe the ketchup stains off of them and keep them for a while. At least until I stop listening to this disc.
:music-listening:

So, you're saying that the K701 is only worth a damn if the CD has ridiculous amounts of bass to make up for their lack of bass output?

I've had "Dig" in my collection for years. "Thanks To You" & "Desire" are my favorite tracks. I love the bass.

If you likes bass, check out some Gino Vanelli... :handgestures-thumbup:

GreatDane said:
So, you're saying that the K701 is only worth a damn if the CD has ridiculous amounts of bass to make up for their lack of bass output?
Yeah, pretty much. Do you disagree?

I've only listened to a friends K701 on a few occasions, about 2 hours total. I know enough to never consider owning them.

I would need to listen to some reference tracks and compare them to my Beyer T1. I'm sure that some music doesn't come off sounding anemic on the K701, like some Classical. When you taste what cans like the Denons or my JVC can do, hearing so much less bass will take a few hours to get used to...so why even go there. Even these big bass closed cans can't come close to the experience that we get with a subwoofer so why would anyone settle for even less bass. That's just not fun. I want fun. My Westone 3 IEMs can do bass just as good as my JVC, problem is they have a much smaller soundstage...but they look cool and the JVC look extremely goofy.

My T1 has some very impressive bass for an open can but they lose to my JVC. Even though some people who haven't heard the DX1000 think that they are "bass monsters", they don't make every song bassy like some cheap closed cans that I've heard. They are simply very capable of delivering deep powerful bass. The problem with comparing my DX1000 to T1 is that the T1 has the advantage in mids and treble detail. Also soundstage is even bigger than the already impressive DX1000. I did own Sennheiser HD650 which I loved until my DX1000 came along. For any HD 650 fans here, imagine deeper more powerful bass, equal soundstage, extended treble with finer detail and almost equal midrange quality...IMO of course. I thought the 650 mids were slightly more accurate, less colored.

I like bass and lots of it. If the song has generous amounts of 30 Hz. bass I want to feel it in my head. When I listen to my Electronic music I want it done right. Scrambled brains please.

Hey, would you look at that. The Denons have the least bass output of the four. Maybe they're not "boom truck beasts" after all. :eusa-whistle:

As for those Sonys, that's just sick.

Zing said:
Hey, would you look at that. The Denons have the least bass output of the four. Maybe they're not "boom truck beasts" after all. :eusa-whistle:

As for those Sonys, that's just sick.

Then all your statements about the bass being weak must be pure lies. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Flint said:
Then all your statements about the bass being weak must be pure lies. :eek:bscene-buttred:
My statements about weak, pathetic, paltry and shameful bass have always pertained to the 701s, not the Denon D7000s.

So :eek:bscene-buttred: right back atacha, Sport.

I wish HeadRoom sold the JVC DX1000, I'm curious to see how they plot with these cans.

...I love my T1 :music-listening:

Attachments

• graphCompare.php.png
    graphCompare.php.png
    46 KB · Views: 689
I've heard rave reviews on these but have not heard them personally. How does the sound compare vs. IEMs, specifically the Shure SE530s?

IMHO it's hard to compare IEMs with full-size headphones, especially open (non-isolating) ones like the K701. It's a very different experience. Personally, I'd much rather have full over-the-ear headphones for long term listening, like while I'm working, because my ears get tired of IEMs pretty quickly. I mainly use IEMs for travel, where noise isolation is more important - commuter train or airplane. Full size headphones have a bit more of a speaker-like sound, I think, but it seems to be a matter of personal preference and what works best for the environment in which you're using them.

Back