• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Amazon dropping AppleTV & Google Chromecast

Barney

Longhorns, Cowboys, Spurs, & Rangers...love Texas
Just saw on the news that Amazon will no longer offer AppleTV & Google Chromcast products by the end of this month.
Also Amazon Prime signed a contract with CBS to carry 3 of their new series.

Interesting strategy. On the surface it makes some amount of sense to not promote/sell products that directly compete with your own.

Towen7 said:
Interesting strategy. On the surface it makes some amount of sense to not promote/sell products that directly compete with your own.

No, because they still sell the Roku. The problem with the products they pulled is that they have not been allowed to put apps on those products for Amazon services. If Apple continues to bar Amazon from putting an Amazon Video app on the Apple TV, why would Amazon want to keep selling it? I think this is a tactic to pressure Apple and Google into opening their ecosystems and playing fair.

All of this is central to the reason I stick with Roku, which has no skin in the game and supports any ecosystem that wants to play. So far, that includes Amazon Video, Amazon Music, Vudu, M-Go, Flixster, Google Play Video, Spotify and a ton of others. Why would I want to lock myself into a devices that don't play well with others?

When I was setting up my DMA account , Amazon video was one of my choices to have it linked to besides VUDU and others.
One of the reasons me & my son threw our Google Chromcast in a drawer because it doesn't have Amazon Prime Video on it. It had Netflix though.
I don't blame Amazon for dropping 'em.

Haywood said:
I really wish Amazon would join UV.
That's kinda interesting, they drop brands that won't play well with them, but then refuse to play well with others.
Ah, profit-driven business! :twocents-mytwocents:

Hold on.... be fair. Amazon has been selling those other products and there have been stories in the trade rags about how Amazon has been trying desperately to get them to agree to include their apps, including doing 100% of the testing, support, and development themselves, even reimbursing Apple and Google for any validation and support costs they incur, yet those other guys refused them. They made all sorts of offers to try to get Amazon Prime on those other platforms, going pretty far to make it equitable for them, but still were rebuffed. Not everyone plays with UV which was really intended for movie studios to use to bypass the streaming sites and get their own money instead.

I don't see a parallel.

UV is exactly the same as Disney Movies Anywhere, for all practical purposes. Amazon signed on with DMA a couple weeks ago. Both systems are based on the idea of having a single rights locker that works with all resellers in the system. If I buy Disney movies from Apple, Google, Microsoft, Vudu and Amazon, I don't have to worry because every movie I buy becomes instantly available across all of those ecosystems. Amazon would actually sell more movies if they were on UV, because people with existing UV libraries would be able to access our libraries through Amazon and would not be afraid to add movies to our libraries by buying them from Amazon. As it stands, I won't buy any movies from Amazon Video, because any movies I buy will not integrate into my library. That is why I stick with Vudu on Roku instead of perhaps going with Fire TV.

My point is that it is a new a different way to get content which competes directly with Amazon for the exact same content and may not play well into Amazon's carefully designed business model.

Whether or not Amazon's business model is the right one or not is a different discussion, but it isn't at all the same as Apple and Google flat out refusing to include Amazon's player on their devices.

My point is that Amazon not currently supporting UV isn't the same as, or comparible to, Amazon dropping Apple and Google devices from their storefornt (after years of selling them despite the obvious conflict).

You may have misunderstood me. I was not criticizing Amazon for what it did. I was simply lamenting that they don't support UV, because I love their other services and would like to be able to make more use of Amazon Video.

Back