• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Amazon Fire TV -v- Roku ?

The DirtMerchant

Famous
Has anyone taken the plunge on an Amazon Fire TV? I am starting to think about picking up
either a Roku or an Amazon box. I like the voice recognition capability, but am not sure I would
use it. Anyone have any info to share? Thoughts? Hardware deficiencies? Software deficiencies?
Etc?

If I were to buy a media streaming device today, it would be the Amazon Fire TV. I like the features and capabilities better than Roku, but they are not enough better to justify buying it as a replacement to my two Roku devices already in service.

Flint said:
If I were to buy a media streaming device today, it would be the Amazon Fire TV. I like the features and capabilities better than Roku, but they are not enough better to justify buying it as a replacement to my two Roku devices already in service.

Same here. And I'd love that voice recognition feature for searching for a particular series or movie; typing out a title using scrolling arrows is a pain in the arse. Well worth an extra Jackson.

Looks like a Roku box would be my only current option. I want to pair this player with my old Panasonic plasma in my bedroom. RCA inputs only, no HDMI. Either Roku or a new display. Sadly, the new display idea is an absolute no-go. I'll probably see if I can hold out for a while, but I really want access to my RAID stuff via Plex...

How often does Roku update their lineup?

Roku has much better support for UltraViolet, which is important to me. It is also a completely open and neutral platform, which means broader support for more stuff all around.

The Roku 3 has been out for awhile and is honestly sub-par compared to the Amazon TV. I expect that there will be a new Roku flagship in the not-to-distant future.

I have a Fire TV. I've never had a Roku.
Right now there is an audio problem with the Plex app. If your files are MKV, then it will not output DD or DTS. With MP4 files, only DD works. All you can get right now from MKV files is stereo sound. The Plex people say they are working with Amazon to fix it but it has been a month and a half now and no word on a fix.

Also, I don't think the FTV is able to bitsream the HD Audio formats. I have sideloaded XBMC on the FTV and HD audio does not work. It may be an Android limitation.

Otherwise the FTV is a very good box. For it was worth the money because of the ability to sideload apps that are not available in the Amazon app store.

From what I've been able to ascertain, Vudu is blocking Fire TV devices at this point. The only device that supports every service I use is Roku. I cannot seriously consider any device that does not support Vudu, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Drama Fever, Amazon Instant Video, HBO Go, Plex and Tablo. I can access Tablo via Plex as a work-around for that last one, but the others are all things we use and I am VERY heavily invested in Vudu.

I am sure in time the XDA guys will have Vudu working on the FTV. But yes, you are right, the Roku is still the better choice for someone like you who uses those other apps and services not available on the FTV.

Yeah, I saw it the other day. It hasn't affected me because I turned off the screen saver since the first day I got it.

Back