• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Another guy tempted to get an Onkyo NR708

Rope said:
[I've got two or three adapters laying around, Bob. You're certainly welcome to them.

Your concern regarding the upconversion from 720p to 1080i is unfounded, since the display's scaler will take care of that duty, and only three channels are broadcast in 720p, ABC, Fox, and ESPN.

Rope

My Mits manual is pretty explicit in that it is a 1080i device and the program source must convert from 720P. Besides, no ESPN?, No Fox?

What do you think I'm going to do with this system? Oh, yeah - listen to the radio. :banana-dance:

Update: clicked the button last night and according to Amazon, the N708 has already shipped. Due 3/15 :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

My other three Studio 20's are in and I'll pick them up tomorrow. :music-rockout:

Stands are now pushed out to April 5th. :angry-cussingblack:

I'll let heeman lead the way with calibration.

Bob R said:
My other three Studio 20's are in and I'll pick them up tomorrow. :music-rockout:

What... WHAT... you also bought speakers? I missed that, but now I'm even more jealous. You suck, man.

:handgestures-thumbup:

Good Deal Bob on the new 20's and Onkyo. Best of luck!! It sucks about the stands, but before you know it, they will arrive.

After getting a little more familiar reading the Owners Manual and playing with the GUI on the Onkyo last night, I am ready for the task this weekend.

I have one questions for all of you guys that are familiar with these higher tech AV Receivers:

There are so many different selections for listening modes, do you finally settle for just a couple, or do you always search for the mode based on you movie, cd and/or concerts???

heeman said:
There are so many different selections for listening modes, do you finally settle for just a couple, or do you always search for the mode based on you movie, cd and/or concerts???

I just settled on a couple that I liked and ignore the rest.

For me, I set my TV input for the "DPLII-Movie Mode".

And, because I rarely listen to straight stereo for music, I keep my DVD and Airport Express (for music server) inputs set to "DPLII-Music Mode" (with not very much going into the center channel). I think it sounds great with all kinds of music. This setup works for me for the most part since if I play a movie with a Dolby Digital/DTS soundtrack, then the receiver automatically senses it and switches to DD/DTS accordingly. (I don't mess with any setting that added effects to a DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 signal.) Though, in rare cases of where I watch an older movie that is only pro-logic, then I am (unfortunately) forced to manually switch the receiver's preset from "DPLII Music" to "DPLII Movie" mode (since a movie in music mode sounds kinda weird to me.)

Congrats Bob! :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

Heeman asked:
heeman said:
I don't use any of them. I figure if the band wants a canyon reverb on the sousaphone part, they'll put it on the CD themselves. Same with movies, if it should sound like you're in a basement they'll put the effects in the movie soundtrack.

Does make me curious, though, how much of the money I paid went to those circuits that I don't use... :think:

Botch said:
I don't use any of them. I figure if the band wants a canyon reverb on the sousaphone part, they'll put it on the CD themselves. Same with movies, if it should sound like you're in a basement they'll put the effects in the movie soundtrack

I pretty much agree with you.

I won't use anything that I feel sounds too extremely different, such as a stadium or concert hall mode. That said, I do really like "DPLII-Music" mode; when set up just right I think it does a commendable job of simulating a surround sound environment without significantly distorting the artists original intent. Though it would be wrong of me to say that it doesn't affect the vibe at least somewhat. Still... I think it's subtle enough that I can say I agree with you without being a total hypocrite. Of course, that may just be me. ;)

Viva la 5.1 music!!!!!!!

"If the HDMI/DVI cable doesn't work, then that could be an excuse to get a new TV! A 50" 720p plasma can be had for easily under a grand.

Yesfan"

"If this is the case, a new display is in order.

Rope"

You guys are rediculous. There is no new display in my future. (Unless the $5 DVI thingy dosen't work.)

btw: Indeed I forgot, I've been on the Cox cable box so long it was not necessary to concern myself with a buit-in HD tuner. And yes, the Mits does 480i/480P/1080i but not 720P. It still has a great picture!

New Display, what a crazy idea.

Before I did that I'd spring for a set of Paradigm flood standers and go 7.1

Bob R said:
You guys are rediculous. There is no new display in my future. (Unless the $5 DVI thingy dosen't work.)

So you're telling me there's a chance!!!! (New TVs are always fun.) :music-rockout:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCFB2akLh4s[/youtube]

[Edit: Not that I really want your $5 DVI adapter thingy to fail, of course; I'm just funning around.]

Bob R said:
"...........And yes, the Mits does 480i/480P/1080i but not 720P. It still has a great picture!

New Display, what a crazy idea.

Before I did that I'd spring for a set of Paradigm flood standers and go 7.1

I'll let the gurus chime in but, if I'm correct, then 1080i is really no better than having "540p". Someone here posted over at S&V about i vs p and why 720p is superior to 1080i as far as HiDef quality goes.

Just trying to help you get that newer display. Then there's Celtics basketball in 3D via ESPN3D. :eusa-whistle:

PS: what the hell's a "flood stander"?

So, the 708 showed up and guess what?

The FM tuner works. So does the cable audio in.

I'm going to drag down the SVS 25-31 PC+ down and soon I'll be 2.1.

Me likey so far!

Well, as I set this up I've learned two things.

With my Cox cable older Motorola DTR the HDMI to DVI cable did not work.

After going back to component, I could not get any HD channels. :angry-cussingblack:

So, I called Cox and they are sending someone out Friday to check it out.

After playing around I see that the cable box defaulted to 720P. Now I know that my Mits TV does not accept 720P. re-set to 1080I and all is good.

let the Cox guy upgrade my set top box - that's OK with me. :angelic-green:

Flint said:
TitaniumTroy said:
Anybody know what is the main difference between the Onkyo NR708 vs NR808 other than the price?

NR808 - NR708 = 100

The difference is 100.

:?
:happy-smileygiantred: lol's....... :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk:

Hey Bob, are you still liking your Onkyo NR708? Still waiting to pull the trigger on one for myself, thanks.

Troy

Back