• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Another Wall Mount Question

Randy

Superstar
OK some of you guys may remember my signature from the old place. "Anybody wanna buy a fireplace?" was a reference to the fact that somebody put a big ole stupid fireplace right in the middle of what would be a pretty good wall for a display.

I have been fighting this for years now and have my old Sony Wega sitting next to the fireplace. This is the best compromise I could come up with.

Well I am tired of not having high def in the living room where most of my viewing is done. I want a display in there, I want high def, and I would prefer it was pretty big.

So, here's the thing. I need a wall mount that articulates downward so the display can be moved down to a comfortanle viewing height when watching and then stored back up above the fireplace when not in use.

THE FIREPLACE HAS SEEN NO USE IN PROBABLY TEN YEARS, so blocking it is not a big deal to me.

Here is an old pic

76435043bHXgpb_th.jpg

Sorry that picture is so small but most of my pictures disappeared from photobucket some time ago and I had to copy that one from my signature off the old site.

I guess a projector is out of the question? Seems a retractable drop-down screen and a pj would be the natural solution here...

Last December I did an HT setup for my boss. 58" LCD that required the type of mount due to where they wanted it.

Went with this.

Does everything you would like and have not heard of any problems.

I did have to get this adaptor kit but worked like a charm.

And I am also now a member of the "Who put this damn fireplace here" club.

mzpro5 said:
Last December I did an HT setup for my boss. 58" LCD that required the type of mount due to where they wanted it.

Went with this.

Does everything you would like and have not heard of any problems.

I did have to get this adaptor kit but worked like a charm.

And I am also now a member of the "Who put this damn fireplace here" club.

Ok, so how did you make it drop down? Sorry for being a little dense.

I'm sorry I did not realize you wanted something that would come down and cover the FP. The one I mentioned just swivels the TV down if mounted higher up.

Randy said:
...somebody put a big ole stupid fireplace right in the middle of what would be a pretty good wall for a display.
You've seen my room, right? Same deal.

Electric drop down screen will indeed be able to go as low as you need them to, no question about it.

As for your hesitance about going front projection for casual viewing, perhaps a *cough* used *ahem* projector would serve you well. Elite Screens make an electric version for a few hundred dollars. A few pennies more will allow you to customize one to include a longer "drop down" portion thus lowering the viewable image. Then, a couple hundred dollars more for a *ahem* used *cough* Epson 720, and you've got a large scale high def image for less than $900.

Hey Zing, do you know WHERE Randy could get a used projector?
(you should really get that cough looked at by a doctor.)

:angelic-innocent:

I got to thinking about a mount that articulates vertically and I think youd need some sort of hydraulic piston to deal with gravity wanting to pull the set down. That or some sort of counterweight. All that adds up to complication and expense. Then I got to thinking about linear actuators and motorized lifts... all ideas I could come-up with were either too expensive, too ugly, or required bolting things to the floor/ceiling.

The vertically-articulating mounts were what first came to my mind. They don't all have a hydraulic piston. Some - if not most - have a tension spring (wanting to pull it up) and a locking mechanism in the extended position. Much less in-your-face than the piston variety.

I maintain a drop down screen (even a manual pull-down) and a PJ (with a good amount of lens shift) is the ideal combination.

Well, I dont want to remove the fireplace for potential resale issues. It seems a fireplace can add a tad bit of value to the house.

Zing, I hear you brother, and if I knew someone *cough* that had a used *ahem* projo and screen I can see the validity in your post. But here are a few reasons why I am still hesitant.

1. I have a lot of ambient light in the room during daytime viewing.
2. I have a gable roof and there is not a lot of room in the attic to work at the outside walls.
3. I would have to get in the attic to mount the projector and I am fucking lazy.
4. It would disturb the 24" or so of blown in insulation I have when my fat ass is crawling around up there in the attic.
5. It is too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter to get in the attic and actually do anything.
6. Did I mention I am fucking lazy???

I have always thought I would like a projo in the living room, but the family room in the basement where I have my main HT setup just seems so much more suited for it.

I may have to go with that $500 mount if I get serious about doing this. I just need to make sure the wall/ framing above the mantle is sturdy enough to hold it, especially considering the weight and pull that mount would place on the wall. They show it mounted to the bricks of the fireplace and I can see where that could easily be strong enough. But, I have plaster above my mantle and I dont think there are full 2x4's in between the chimney and the plaster.

Gee, if only I knew someone selling a PJ that could be rear shelf mounted, or table mounted or floor mounted... :eusa-whistle: ...that way the cables could run downward and around the perimeter of the room or routed under the floor via the basement where it's cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

And it would be even better if I knew someone selling a PJ that installed itself for the sloth-like among us. :eusa-whistle: x2

Zing said:
Gee, if only I knew someone selling a PJ that could be rear shelf mounted, or table mounted or floor mounted... :eusa-whistle: ...that way the cables could run downward and around the perimeter of the room or routed under the floor via the basement where it's cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

And it would be even better if I knew someone selling a PJ that installed itself for the sloth-like among us. :eusa-whistle: x2

Ok well that would be great, except the damn thing needs to go on an exterior wall and there is no room behind it for a shelf, table, rack, or any other such thing. But, I really respect your persistance. :happy-smileygiantred:

And, if you can figure out the self installing projector for the sloth like then I would buy that. :eek:bscene-buttred:

Maximo said:
why noy just knock the damn thing down?

I would love to, but I dont want to effect the resale value. It would also be a gigantic pain in the ass and a lot of work.

where do you live? I'll come help you do it. I have had to look at that fucking thing for years and am ready for you tp have a proper wall. Let's do this!

You need to hire several young servants, preferrably foreign laborers willing to put up with you for a dollar a day + some food. Then you build a pully system to raise and lower the TV panel on demand. The slaves... er... servants could do the lifting and lowering.

How about having someone install a "built-in" style cabinet in the fireplace and have the TV in/sligthly-in-front-of the fireplace? When you move, remove the cabinet (or leave it there for the new owner to remove).

Or (this just came to me and I think it would be cool as sh!t), install a lift just as you would for a TV in a cabinet to raise out of. When the lift is up, the TV is located above the fireplace for non-viewing. When the lift is down (when it's normally concealed) yours would be in front of the fireplace. Of course you would need a big slot in the mantle, but hey, that's doable.

John

Back