• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Any issues with previews on Blu-ray discs?

DIYer

Famous
I rent Blu-ray disc from Netflix and I've been irritated by the new releases having previews and advertisement at the beginning. It won't allow me to skip. No other buttons will work except open tray or power off. Some won't even respond to "stop" button. WTF! They are force feeding me this shyt. :angry-cussingblack: Particularly, Clash of the Titans disc will repeat those previews and ads each time I stop the movie and start again, then asks if I want to continue where I left off.

Is there a remedy for this?

DIYer said:
I rent Blu-ray disc from Netflix and I've been irritated by the new releases having previews and advertisement at the beginning. It won't allow me to skip. No other buttons will work except open tray or power off. Some won't even respond to "stop" button. WTF! They are force feeding me this shyt. :angry-cussingblack: Particularly, Clash of the Titans disc will repeat those previews and ads each time I stop the movie and start again, then asks if I want to continue where I left off.

Not that I am aware of. Very irritating especially when it is a disc you purchased.

There really needs to be a standard for BD discs regarding bookmarks, pausing, stopping and the rest. Every company does it differently. I hate that with some movies you actually have to remember or write down the chapter if you stop it and want to start at the same place. total disregard for the consumer.

Does you BD player have a "top menu" button, sometimes that works

Most of the time, if the next chapter button won't work, the fast forward will. I've only run across a couple of discs that none of the buttons worked. I get them from Netflix also.

Don't get me started on these self promoting, money grubbing bastards that expect you to pay them to watch there advertisements. If this pisses you off, check out BD Live, what a joke. I won't purchase BD anymore, since I was lead to believe I was purchasing a pristine feature film, not a bunch of self promotion from some greedy film studio, boy, was I stupid.

Rope

DIYer said:

Yes, but it is not easy. Build/Buy and HTPC and Rip the blue rays to a hard drive. Other than that I would say, wait for online HD content.

I hate that shit too. If the skip button doesn;t work I will try the ff button. ONe of those ususally works or the disc menu button.

Well I just got my first Netflix rental that plays as DIYer described (Edge of Night).

Absolutely nothing you can do to skip all the BS at the beginning!!!

Netflix is really starting to piss me off first with the delayed release thing and now with this shyt.

I've never been a Netflix customer so I can't attest to any differences in their discs as opposed to store-bought discs but I know this, it's the coding on the discs themselves that tell a player what it can and can't do - regardless of what kind of player you own - much the same way you can't skip past or fast-foward through the FBI warnings.

So I'm inclinded to believe that whatever any and all disc makers want you to see, they'll be sure to inhibit your ability to miss it.

It makes no difference if the disc is rented or purchased, they're all the same self promoting greedy studios making the consumer pay them for watching their own promotion. Disney and Warner Brothers are the biggest offenders. :angry-cussingblack:

Rope

Disney discs are the worst offender!

Sometimes, they even make the "top menu" button start the previews all over....

:angry-banghead:

D

Shoot, I thought I had an answer, at least for us Oppo owners, but it only applies to DVDs. From the "unofficial Oppo FAQ website":

When playing DVD (not Blu-ray), pressing the YELLOW button on the remote will take you to chapter 1 of the longest title on the disc. You can use this during startup to skip the introductory material.

I haven't seen a DVD with non-skippable advert content; hopefully the folks at Oppo will figure out a way to do it to BDs and include on a future update... :(

This is the kinda stuff that makes me not regret getting Bluray for my system. If bought discs are the same way, I'll stick with DVD.

Doghart said:
Disney discs are the worst offender!

Sometimes, they even make the "top menu" button start the previews all over....

:angry-banghead:

D
I was wondering if anyone else had this happen.......glad I'm not alone.

Well I ran across another Netflix disc that forced me to watch all the crap before the movie.

These discs from Netflix have a plain gray label and have "RENTAL" in big letters at the bottom of the label. So they are producing separate discs for rentals that force this stuff on you.

It's not just Netflix discs....

I see it on discs I purchase all the time. Mostly frikkin Blurays.

D

No ads or previews on Iron Man 2 disc. It goes straight to top menu and it's a rental disc! :dance:

DIYer said:
No ads or previews on Iron Man 2 disc. It goes straight to top menu and it's a rental disc! :dance:

I had the same experience with a RedBox bluray copy of IM2. No previews, straight to the top menu.

Towen7 said:
DIYer said:

I had the same experience with a RedBox bluray copy of IM2. No previews, straight to the top menu.

Same with a Netflix rental of Green Zone, straight to the top menu.

Rope

Back