• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Anybody race? GT5 or Dirt3?

-B-

Got a Logitech G27 wheel....it's bad ass!! On PS3 as it doesn't work with XBOX and GT5 is a more realistic simulator than Forza.

There's nothing like it for Xbox except for a Fanatec ... starting at $200 for the wheel, $80 for the basic pedals. An outboard shifter is another $60.

The good news is that the Fanatec is compatible with the Xbox, PC and PS3.

http://www.fanatec.com/

csr-top.jpg

Have Dirt, 2 and 3 also forza for xbox.

Good stuff. Get a gold account, we can play together.... weeeee

D

Doghart said:
Have Dirt, 2 and 3 also forza for xbox.

Good stuff. Get a gold account, we can play together.... weeeee

D

there he goes again...PS3 D, is free and GT5 is more realistic than Forza. Someone told me I should get Dirt2 as well, is there a good reason to do so?

Towen, I considered a Fanatec but the reviews are iffy concerning reliability. For the price of the G27 I couldn't get one as nice either. There's an $85 adapter out there but honestly I'll just get Dirt3 for PS3 instead because it omits some of the functionality. If I had a gripe on the G27 its the shifter. It feels flimsy and you can't use the sequential shift with it. Sometimes you get messed up trying to shift the paddles because you are turning the wheel. You can shift without using the clutch though which I find lame, but the clutch isn't realistic enough to bother with and the ergonomics of it attached to a cheap desk is too clumsy. Now if I build a rig and make the ergonomics better it may be worth using the clutch, but storing it would be difficult as it's small in here.

If you have Dirt3, Dirt2 is pointless, unless you can get it used for only a few bucks.

D

-B- said:
and the ergonomics of it attached to a cheap desk is too clumsy. Now if I build a rig and make the ergonomics better it may be worth using

Since I got such a good deal on the MS wheel I bought the Fanatec wheel stand. Works really well. So much better than a table or desk clamp.

Towen7 said:
-B- said:
and the ergonomics of it attached to a cheap desk is too clumsy. Now if I build a rig and make the ergonomics better it may be worth using

Since I got such a good deal on the MS wheel I bought the Fanatec wheel stand. Works really well. So much better than a table or desk clamp.

which do you race? PC, PS3 or XBOX?

I was looking at a review of the Thrustmaster T500. If I stick with this for 6 months and continue to advance I'm getting that sucker. I'd stick with the Logitech Driving Force wheel but it's gear driven making it noisy, jerky and not as realistic. I do like that it is made for GT5 so it has all the PS buttons. If I make a sim seat I'm definitely going to do the ebrake mod and possibly the full size wheel. http://chilicoke.com/logitechwheel.htm This guy has the wheel adapter and ebrake mod directions. I like the reverse mounted pedals too, the Thrustmaster pedals have the option without modification.

All I play is Forza on the Xbox. It sucks that the Fanatec is the only real option. I'm just not into gaming enough to spend that kind of money. Most of their pedal kits are modular so you can mount them onto your rig or invert them or whatever.

Razz said:
Dirt3 that much better than Dirt2?

I have Forza 3 and I'm likin it.

Graphics and gameplay are very similar, Dirt3 has a better career mode though, and is a bit longer.

If you just pick up and play for an hour or so every now and then, then I would say it wouldn't matter.

Dirt3 does have the demolition derby mode though.... fun stuff!!

Dirt Showdown looks like it will be good as well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xJ2Q3RFamg[/youtube]

D

-B- said:
GT5 is a more realistic simulator than Forza.
Not in my experience. Every car in GT5 feels the same. A RWD should not understeer like a FWD or AWD.

Forza has always been the most realistic game with Forza 2 being the best.

lulimet said:
-B- said:
GT5 is a more realistic simulator than Forza.
Not in my experience. Every car in GT5 feels the same. A RWD should not understeer like a FWD or AWD.

Forza has always been the most realistic game with Forza 2 being the best.

Car and Driver did a side by side using the same cars on the same tracks and said the opposite, specifically that FWD cars don't understeer and game play is easier and more arcade like. They gave each their due and concluded GT5 to be the better sim, I have no grounds to say either way and find many arguments online. I did see there is a PC game and playing community that bests both of them but I haven't looked into it as I'll never have a PC capable of playing it.

Yeah.... there is a whole sim-racing subculture that I didn't know existed until last year when I was shopping for a wheel and stumbled on some sites looking for reviews.

Back