• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Anyone doing the Atmos thing?

elfstone

Gotta admit I haven't been keeping up with all the new tech lately, but I was at Best Buy yesterday looking at the Samsung 4k sets again and I happened to stumble across some Deftech Towers with two atmos satellite speakers on top. Sounded pretty darn good with what they were playing. After doing some searching I found that Klipsch has pretty much the same thing:

http://www.klipsch.com/rp-140sa/details

Looks like they'll sit atop my RB-75s. Anyone doing the Atmos thing? Is it worth it?

I know I'll need a new receiver if I do this and I saw Marantz has a nice one (I have the 7005 right now but it doesn't do 4K or 3-D pass through and isn't Atmos either).

Know I should have stayed home yesterday.

I'm dying to setup Atmos speakers but I too will need a new processor and (of course) 4 new speakers but lack the funds at the moment.

I'm going to budget the money for the new tv first, then move up to the Marantz receiver. After that get the Atmos speakers. Always something!

Funny, I just bought a new tv just about 2 years ago and already looking at something new.

I'm not interested in it. Granted, I haven't went and listened to a demo, so take that with a grain of salt.

IMO, I don't think I want to go through another bout of upgrading gear and adding speakers. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere and/or on my other hobbies. That and the fact that I feel like by adding more speakers, I'm just going to be that much closer to having a setup akin to that loony overseas. Kinda makes me cringe, when I think about it.

OMG! I remember him. I think he did some dumpster diving and found every speaker that was tossed out and added them to his system.

The Klipsch has two satellite speakers that sit on top of their floorstanders and the bigger Reference line. You really don't notice them and placement is not an issue (it just sits on top of the speaker already there). I'm intrigued because I didn't think I could add them before (I have wood floors all throughout the house and running wires is something I can't do without going through the attic and walls). I have a wireless device for my surrounds right now and it works really well.

I'm not itching for it, but if I had to upgrade both my receiver and disk player, and they had it, I'd go ahead and pull two more wires up through the wall and into the ceiling, and install a couple speakers up there (not interested in the speaker-top "projection" systems, would have to pull wires anyway).
Haven't actually heard an Atmos system yet, may take Elfstone's advice and stay home. :D

I cannot do Atmos until I either buy the house I'm renting or buy another house, but I do plan to do it eventually.

The built in option, like what Klipsch is doing, seems like a very viable option if the performance is up to snuff.

I haven't been bitten by the upgrade bug in some time so I don't really care, but if something were to happen, like Botch mentioned, I might try it.

But I have never really been an early adopter.

Did some investigating into this over the past few weeks. I went to Evolution Home Theater and found that, with the height of my ceilings where I have my setup, it probably won't work. Ideally you need to have 12 to 14 foot ceilings (14 is pushing it to the limits). Unfortunately my ceiling height starts at 18 at the low end and all the way up to 28 feet at the peak. Even going the in-ceiling speaker route wouldn't necessarily give a good result. So looks like I won't be upgrading any time soon. But I have noticed that some blu rays that have the Dolby Atmos on them do sound a bit better. Anyone else notice this?

elfstone said:
Did some investigating into this over the past few weeks. I went to Evolution Home Theater and found that, with the height of my ceilings where I have my setup, it probably won't work. Ideally you need to have 12 to 14 foot ceilings (14 is pushing it to the limits). Unfortunately my ceiling height starts at 18 at the low end and all the way up to 28 feet at the peak. Even going the in-ceiling speaker route wouldn't necessarily give a good result. So looks like I won't be upgrading any time soon. But I have noticed that some blu rays that have the Dolby Atmos on them do sound a bit better. Anyone else notice this?
Hmm, would "hanging" speakers work (like lights that hang down on long poles)? :shhh:

Botch said:
elfstone said:
Hmm, would "hanging" speakers work (like lights that hang down on long poles)? :shhh:
Don't see why not.

Assuming you have the space, you can pretty much source any and all material needed to suspend just about any speaker, non-destructively, in any room, from your local Home Despot: steel and aluminum stock, chains, nuts/bolts/washers, rope, etc.

And given that "presence" speakers (like for Atmos) likely don't need to be big full-rangers, in this case it shouldn't be all that difficult to noodle something.

My guess is that a real craftsman (like Wardsweb) could fashion something that would make even the Jetsons envious.

Jeff

One thing needing to be looked at: I imagine most for-the-ceiling speakers are designed as flush-mounts; a hanging mount would throw things off.

I imagine hanging a pair of atmos speakers might work, depending on their size and all. But then you have to consider the look and how it integrates into your surrounding.

Don't want to look like our UK friend who had speakers in all parts of his house.

Will probably give the Klipsch add on things a try later when I upgrade the receiver. If it doesn't work then I can always return the speakers.

Always something.

Back