• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Anyone had the 4Dx experience?

Deacon

Humble Servant
There is 1 4Dx theater near enough to me that I would be willing to go to and pay the exorbitant fee just for the experience. Plus I think my wife will get a kick out of it. Anyone taken in a 4Dx movie? If so how would you rate the experience?

If it’s anything like “4D” at theme parks, not only would I not pay or seek it out, I’d avoid it altogether. No way it’s worth any extra $$ to me, it would def detract from the movie viewing experience.

Yeah, the theme park ones can be pretty cheesy, but the movies are usually short and it's usually a nice break when it's hot out. Saw one of Leslie Nielsons last films at the 4D theater at Busch Gardens awhile back. Maybe they do it better in a commercial setting? The wife and I did see a movie sitting in what they called D-Box chairs, which basically move and vibrate with the action. Glad we did it, but it was kind of expensive and haven't done it since.

Yeah, the theme park ones can be pretty cheesy, but the movies are usually short and it's usually a nice break when it's hot out. Saw one of Leslie Nielsons last films at the 4D theater at Busch Gardens awhile back. Maybe they do it better in a commercial setting? The wife and I did see a movie sitting in what they called D-Box chairs, which basically move and vibrate with the action. Glad we did it, but it was kind of expensive and haven't done it since.
Better than D-Bag chairs I bet! LMAO

It just seems like another new (for commercial theaters) gimmick to me, I have no interest in my seats shaking or being sprayed with water when I’m trying to take a movie seriously. Even if it’s only for animated films and/or action movies I think it would detract from the movie itself.

they used to have two of these at disneyland.

one at california great adventures bugs land, called a bugs life (unfortunately it was demolished last year).

it poked fun of how being a bug was and had sprays, spurts of wind, odors etc, and it was fun. creepy crawlies on the back seat and bumping here and there. it was our way of winding down when we headed back to the grand california adventure hotel.

second was the muppet show, also i think in calfornia great adventure.

that was fun too, but set in a big big theater setup. great show, just a bit less 4d-ish. also removed and replaced unfortunately.

It just seems like another new (for commercial theaters) gimmick to me, I have no interest in my seats shaking or being sprayed with water when I’m trying to take a movie seriously. Even if it’s only for animated films and/or action movies I think it would detract from the movie itself.
I don't remember what we saw, it was an action movie though, but it wasn't all that distracting, and did add something to the experience, kind of like what butt kickers do. Main reason we haven't done it again, is that it was $14 and we are used to matinee pricing.

I can think of ONE movie, for me, where this may have added to the movie viewing experience and that’s Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs. It was a great movie, was hilarious, the 3D was phenomenal and the content of the movie would integrate perfectly with 4D.

^^^Polar Express would also be a good movie to watch sitting in the moveable seats. Especially the train ride.

I can think of ONE movie, for me, where this may have added to the movie viewing experience and that’s Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs. It was a great movie, was hilarious, the 3D was phenomenal and the content of the movie would integrate perfectly with 4D.
You're just trying to get a meal out of the experience!

Back