• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Anyone have a TiVo ?

mzpro5

Famous
At Mom's new place the complex provides TV service ( satellite) via a central distribution system which means you just run a coax from a wall terminal to the TV and use the TV tuner, no STB.

There is no DVR which Mom liked at the house so I was looking at the TiVo Priemer DVR. I'm not even sure it would work but I can get one at BB for $100 and if it doesn't work easy enoughntomreturn.

Anyone have experience with the newest TiVos?

My father in law has the Tivo Premier but he uses Cable Cards. The thing has never gotten every channel and he has spent countless hours with both Tivo CS and his cable provider. I would not recommend the latest Tivos based on his experience. It's likely related to the Cable Card use, but he's been through 2 or 3 units and they can't figure the damn problem out. This was all after he paid for the lifetime service. Something like $400.

I still use two Tivos and love them. They are easy to use, but I don't know if the schedule will work with the way that building is distributing TV. I would call them.

Flint said:
I still use two Tivos and love them. They are easy to use, but I don't know if the schedule will work with the way that building is distributing TV. I would call them.
I did and they said it shouldn't be a problem so we will see. Worse comes to worst I will have spent several hours and no harm done.

I am sure it will function fine. I only worry about the scheduling tool recognizing which channel is which station.

I really do love my Tivos.

I thought Tivo didn't work with satellites, only cable. What source do you have, Flint?

The channels in MZ's mom's place are provided via standard TV channels on the wire. This is similar to how hotels do it - they receive a selection of channels from the satellite then distribute them via cable using standard TV Tuner channels.

So, Tivo would treat the signals and individual channels on the TV.

Flint said:
The channels in MZ's mom's place are provided via standard TV channels on the wire. This is similar to how hotels do it - they receive a selection of channels from the satellite then distribute them via cable using standard TV Tuner channels.

So, Tivo would treat the signals and individual channels on the TV.
That is spot on. Mom gets 48 channels and luckily it includes all the channels she normally watches. The locals, HGTV, Hallmark, Gameshow channel, etc.

After thinking about it I don't know that it will work. I think the TiVo requires a phone line and for some reason the only phone jack is in the kitchen whic is a fair distance from the cable outlet and the TV.

A phone line is no longer necessary. You do have to connect your TiVo to the internet.

Flint said:
A phone line is no longer necessary. You do have to connect your TiVo to the internet.
Thanks. That kills it. Phone service is the only utility Mom has to pay for and though she could get DSL she has no reason for the Internet and the extra cost involved.

Over the years the family has tried to get Mom connected, including the purchase of two computers and the availability of an older laptop of mine, but she was never comfortable with it and did not have the patience. She even had problems with a simple cellphone. I know a lot of seniors love the net but not Mom's thing.

Jeff, I have a couple of units that will send a phone signal through the electric wires that I used to get a phone line to the DirecTv box when we first moved in. They are yours if you want them, just let me know.

Back