• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

anyone own a HSU STF-12?

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
Just wanted your thoughts on it. two year no smoking anniversary is coming up, and thought this is a good treat. been wanting a decent sub for sometime, and since the stf-2 is currently on sale, i thought id consider it.

living room area is open space, about 16x20 i think, including kitchen.

I currently have the Boston Acoustics CS Sub10,

Highlights:
video-shielded
frequency response 32-150 Hz (±3dB)
10" Deep Channel® Design graphite-injected polymer woofer
100-watt RMS amplifier
BassTrac® circuitry eliminates distortion
continuously variable 40-180 Hz crossover
phase switch
line-level and unfiltered LFE inputs
15-1/8"W x 16-1/8"H x 17-3/16"D
weight: 32 lbs.
warranty: 5 years (1 year for the amp)
Our 60-day money-back guarantee

http://www.crutchfield.com/ISEO-rgbtcsp ... Black.html

but would like to see what the STF-2 would sound like. specs wise tho, seem similar...

Product At a Glance
Amplifier Power (RMS) 200 Watts
Bass Extension 25 Hz, +/- 2 dB
Woofer Down Firing 10 Inch
Crossover 30 - 90 Hz, Bypassable
Crossover Slope 24 dB/Oct
Phase 0°/180°
Inputs Line Level (1), Speaker Level (2)
Power Outlet Requirement 250W, 120/240V
Enclosure Dimensions 17" H x 14" W x 17" D
Weight 37 lbs

http://hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

I don't have any recommendations about Hsu, but congratulations on the two years being smoke free! That's awesome Jomari! Keep up the good work!

Smoke Free is VERY, VERY GOOD!!! :music-rockout: :music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Sorry, but don't have any comments/experience with that sub either!!

thanks for the greet guys, its been awesome but i still have a ways to go.

despite the moderate weight gain of around 5-10 pounds, i have to cut it out and start eating right, get back to working out and all.

wierd part is, ive had dreams where i just walk outside to my regular smoking spot, hit up a friend for one, light it, and get a big big drag in me.

the main reason im not doing it is simple - i would put to waste what ive built for the past two years or so.

i want this sub, but i dont 'need' it. i think my current sub works fine, and based on the specs, it seems similar despite not hitting 25hz.

fast food is evil.

I think that many of us here will tell you that your room is just as important as the sub.....

Congrats on not smoking....I still do, just in the mornings while drinking coffee.
To be honest about the sub.........if its not far better than what you already have.....why spend the bucks ?

Barney said:
Congrats on not smoking....I still do, just in the mornings while drinking coffee.
To be honest about the sub.........if its not far better than what you already have.....why spend the bucks ?

i hear you barney.

i think thats the thing, im trying very hard to convince myself that i do NOT need this sub anymore, and simply just a yearning to spend on something. plus the fact that i cant even use it to its potential, simply because i live in an apartment, is another restraint.

somewhat frugality frustrated i guess. the more you try to stop spending, the more you want to sometimes.

thanks for the confirmation bud. i think my minds set. i have many more expenses to look forward to, and learn to be content with what i have, and not what i want.

*edited*

i STILL have those early morning cravings at times.

sometimes, and this is key, sometimes the weather, the light, the moment seems perfect for a early morning cup of coffee and a smoke. :music-listening:

Hey my friend....your young still...why not start having a "house built" in the Philippines.....never know...at least a family member can live there until ya'll go "HOME" for awhile.....its cheap.....if you have to retire.....again...its cheap. My wife is having a "house" built now.

Barney said:
Hey my friend....your young still...why not start having a "house built" in the Philippines.....never know...at least a family member can live there until ya'll go "HOME" for awhile.....its cheap.....if you have to retire.....again...its cheap. My wife is having a "house" built now.

i know barney, i think we're pretty much vested in a house at home, already paid off care of my sister and me. we plan to sell it soon once my mom decides to come here. then purchase smaller houses.

thank you tho for thinking about that barney, i appreciate it. :music-listening:

i think im learning to ease up on the spending and just make do y'know? its difficult becuase i think its one of those 'i have to spend because ive been good and spending for my entire family' kinda moment. kinda like how tax returns come around - you want to spend it rather than save the money or put it towards current debt.

where if you dont mind me asking is your wife building the house?

I for one would like to say congrats and hope you continue another two years.

My old sub had a speaker failure and the foam surround fell apart from age. This was about 8 years old. I replaced the speaker with new and improved and the update was worth the dollars. My sub is a butchered home brew that is not a picture box. It hides well and works well.

My old EV TL15-1 subs works well (1982) but are no match for pro sound today's 18's have a flatter lower 80 hz to 30 hz than my old subs. I require adjustments to get the system flat.

If the sound is good and acceptable in the apartment, and the neighbors are not complaining your winning on both fronts. I was in my apartment in DC for about 6 years. Have you any RTA data to validate in your mind on the level balance?

I've heard just a few Hsu subs in my day and they are very capable subs. In fact I rated them right up there with SVS. I recall being at Mazers gtg in Florida and Majorloser bringing over his Hsu with turbo attachment and being very very impressed with how powerful it was in Mazers extremely large great room. I say go for it.

Back