• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Apple iHDTV - Things Just May Get Interesting

Zing

Retired Admin
Superstar
Apple is seemingly gearing up to dominate yet another market with what could be the sleekest, coolest and highest performing TV to date - the Apple iHDTV slated for a Q1 2012 release.

"...It’s possible, though, that this Apple/Samsung TV will feature a next-generation display technology that will outperform today’s cutting-edge LED LCDs.

According to a number of reports out of Asia including the etnews, late last year Samsung began the conversion of one of its plasma plants to produce Carbon Nano Tube Field Emitter Display (CNT-FED) Back Light Units. A CNT-FED would replace LEDs to create the light for LCDs. One of the main advantages of this technology is the ability to provide very local dimming. Single-pixel local dimming is possible, if the design/cost calls for it.. The result is totally black pixels next to brightly lit pixels (insanely high legitimate contrast ratios), plus lower power consumption
."

:text-link:

Samsung-Apple.jpg

And it only plays content from iTunes... :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease: :teasing-tease:

I've been seeing rumors of this thing for awhile, will be interesting to see the picture on it.

This has a lot of potential if Apple decides to build-in some PC functionality like the ability to run apps. Sure, other TV makers have their little versions of apps but it's all about the ecosystem. I've been very eager for built-in media extender to ditch the complication of added boxes/cables/remotes.

The rumor also is that Apple will release a 55" OLED display at the same time. I'm real hesitant to believe this and if I know Apple the original price will be outrageous, but wait 4-5 weeks and the price should be within reason.

MatthewB said:
The rumor also is that Apple will release a 55" OLED display at the same time. I'm real hesitant to believe this and if I know Apple the original price will be outrageous, but wait 4-5 weeks and the price should be within reason.
HD Guru doesn't think OLED will ever materialize.

"Big screen OLED has been rumored to be “a few years away” for about a decade.

There are three major problems with bringing large screen OLED to the consumer market:

1) The ability to make affordable large screens, due to poor yields;

2) Screen brightness competitive with current HDTVs

3) Acceptable panel life.

To date, the biggest OLED screen in the world is a 24.5-inch Sony professional monitor which retails for a staggering $6,100! A 55″ panel is over four times that size
."

Zing said:
MatthewB said:
HD Guru doesn't think OLED will ever materialize.

"Big screen OLED has been rumored to be “a few years away” for about a decade.

There are three major problems with bringing large screen OLED to the consumer market:

1) The ability to make affordable large screens, due to poor yields;

2) Screen brightness competitive with current HDTVs

3) Acceptable panel life.

To date, the biggest OLED screen in the world is a 24.5-inch Sony professional monitor which retails for a staggering $6,100! A 55″ panel is over four times that size
."

Ah, but similar things have been said about LCD screens, and RAM, and hard drives, and phone size, and... ;)

Back