• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Are you on the road To audio HELL!

TitaniumTroy

Zing's old article reminded me of this, I first read it or some version of this years ago. But not sure how old it really is, nor what is the authors background.

http://www.tsound.com/audio_hell.html If I am on the road to audio Hell, I just hop all my audiophile friends will be their too. Hope the listening room acoustics don't suck, the drink's are not too hot, and Razz will bring at least a couple of Hotties with him. :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: :twisted: :angry-cussingblack:

Ha! Haven't read through the entire thing yet, but some of those first few questions definitely ring some bells for me - or set off red flags... :scared-yipes:

Wow, I think this was written by Flint in disguise!

An ideal audio system should recreate an exact acoustical analog of the recorded program.

Thanks TT, that's actually a really good article, and very thought-provoking. I urge others to read this one. Not saying I necessarily agree 100% with everything it says, but there are some good ideas in there.

Thanks Paul, I don't agree with everything in their per se, but it does give you pause for thought. I think any article that makes you think about your goals and preconceived notions is good, whether you agree or not.

I'M DOOMED! :doh: I answered "Yes" to 5 of the 8 questions.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes, No, Yes, No, OK, final answer, No. (but only because he used the term "audio system".
5. No
6. Yes
7a. Yes
7b. Yes

Ok but try to get past the original list of questions - that's just the gimmick, the rest of the article explains why the author feels we should not use those techniques to guide us in this hobby, and he makes a pretty reasonable case for the most part. I do like how he talks about not letting the quest for the perfect reproduction of a 10 second segment of some track override the quest for a moving reproduction of a musical line. Interesting to think about some of the "detail" we seek being artifacts of the recording/playback system, and not something you'd get live. He also makes the claim that vinyl recordings tend to sound more different from each other than CDs, that CDs are too homogenous. (Possibly, but there may be other conclusions to draw from that than he does...) Interesting how he says a truly good system should make recordings sound more different from each other, not more the same.

And so on...

Anyway, there are a lot of good points here, it's not just a humorous little "I'm more obsessed than you" thing.

After re-reading this article, I think it goes on a little long and it gets kind of wordy. I think a good editor would have had him shorten it a bit here and there.

SH, or other vinyl lovers, if you're reading this, what do you think about the author's assertion that vinyl recordings are "undeniably" more different from each other than CD recordings? He seems to imply that the CD format somehow homogenizes recordings (in a bad way). But I think it could simply be that the technical quality of vinyl pressings is more varied, that it's more challenging to get a truly good LP transfer than to CD. However, I'm not in a position to judge, since I don't do LP at all myself. Curious what others think?

I feel the other article explains a llittle on the vinyl in regards that there a many variations of setup, gear, and duplications. It also is funny that comparing vinyl and CD, wheres tape? Analog tape has been the point of recording until the recent release of the digital recording in the last 20 years. Analog tape still is in use on some projects. The use of Tape or digital is transparant to the listener and brings us back to the setup of the room and system, and the quality of the recording on the CD, Tape, or vinyl. Because the sound is adjusted by the final steps to meet the limitations of the medium used is part of the problem. We would like to see that a CD and record sound the same.

Back