• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

AT&T Aquires DirecTV

yes I read this yesterday on the web and my first though was what it means for NFL Sunday Ticket.

Nothing. The Sunday Ticket is in place for DTV subscribers. It us up for renegotiation though. From that perspective the NFL is only interested in two things; viewers and by extension money. Combining the companies adds an additional 6M video subscribers plus access to one of the nations largest internet and wireless networks.

T7 any thoughts on FCC approval? Is it a slam dunk, etc...

Batman said:
T7 any thoughts on FCC approval? Is it a slam dunk, etc...

I have zero inside knowledge but I think it's safe to assument that the guys that do, the ones that committed to spending close to $50B, are confident that they can get approval. That said I'm sure there was a high level of confidence for the Tmobile deal too.

I'd honestly expect it to be approved. AT&T's Uverse TV is hardly a monolithic enough service for this to make a meaningful difference when it comes to competition in the market. Most consumers will still have at least two other choices for traditional pay TV- their cable company and Dish Network. That's not even counting regular OTA broadcasts and internet based services.

I'm a little interested/concerned as to what this will do to existing DirecTV services; while I'm generally pleased with DirecTV, if AT&T mucks about with it too much I will be inclined to finally give in to Charter and bundle in TV there too (even though I'd miss some services DirecTV provides that Charter doesn't).

:text-link:

This article says that AT&T may walk from the deal if Sunday Ticket isn't locked-up for a few years.

I'm required to make it clear that while I am an employee of AT&T I do not represent them here.

I'm all for the acquisition! :banana-dance:

I mean, after all, just look at how much more pleasant, and inexpensive, airline travel has become as we get fewer and larger carriers!! :text-bravo: [/sarcasm]

:doh:

I just wish they'd give us ala cart programming. I'm seriously thinking about cutting the cord soon.

Back