• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

ATI 6000 Morris Kessler Signature Amp

TitaniumTroy

So how does this amplifier rate, I see it doesn't double down from 8-4 ohms. However http://www.ati-amp.com/AT6000.php

"The design uses current feedback instead of the more common voltage feedback. The reason: current feedback amplifiers are faster with virtually unlimited slew rate and are better able to reproduce today’s best music and film sound"

All the amplifiers in the 6000 series are rated at 300 Watts RMS from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more that 0.03% THD at 8 ohms with all channels driven and 450 Watts RMS at 4 ohms under the same conditions. Signal-to-noise ratio is typically 128 dB referenced to full output so each amplifier in the series is capable of playing back the full dynamic range available on today’s lossless recordings.

AT6002 Stereo Signature Amplifier $4,595.00 Not sure what the SAE amp costs, I notice a lot less bling. So maybe PaulyT will like its look more.

Why pick on me? :laughing-rolling: Those of you who've seen my HT with my really fancy wiring techniques will know that I'm the last one to give a shit about what something looks like. It's all about the sound, baby.

TitaniumTroy said:
So how does this amplifier rate, I see it doesn't double down from 8-4 ohms. However http://www.ati-amp.com/AT6000.php

"The design uses current feedback instead of the more common voltage feedback. The reason: current feedback amplifiers are faster with virtually unlimited slew rate and are better able to reproduce today’s best music and film sound"

All the amplifiers in the 6000 series are rated at 300 Watts RMS from 20 Hz to 20 kHz with no more that 0.03% THD at 8 ohms with all channels driven and 450 Watts RMS at 4 ohms under the same conditions. Signal-to-noise ratio is typically 128 dB referenced to full output so each amplifier in the series is capable of playing back the full dynamic range available on today’s lossless recordings.

AT6002 Stereo Signature Amplifier $4,595.00 Not sure what the SAE amp costs, I notice a lot less bling. So maybe PaulyT will like its look more.

Are you referring to the new SAE 2HP amplifier? http://hear-sae.com/

I spent an hour and a half on the phone yesterday with Bill Skaer, their marketing director. SAE has a lot of new things happening.

The 6000 was a bit before my time, but I did design a couple of the PCBs and did the product photography on the web page. I'd be surprised if the amp couldn't actually double its power into 4 ohms, since its power supply and output device complement is obviously up to the task.

Keep in mind that in many cases the real limitation to the amount of power that a high power amplifier can output is more a function of the AC line supplying the amp. Class A/B amps are somewhere around 55% efficient, give or take, so almost half the wattage from your outlet is lost as heat. In lab testing, we use a huge variac to maintain the actual line voltage arriving at the amp at 120VAC, even at full amplifier power. This would never be practical in the home where the line voltage would sag because of the resistance of the house wiring and transformer losses in the pole transformer feeding your house, and probably several other of your neighbors' houses.

And yes, many new things are happening at ATI, and I'm working on most of them.

Any pre-amps? I know in the past their pre-amps may not have been best......but I'm fond of the 1802 I have, and if I ever get rid of the receiver powering my center/surrounds, I'd likely go with a 3 channel amp and pre-amp.

Still loving my modified ATI 2007, and have my ATI 1505 boxed and ready.. waiting till I move someday and set up Atmos.

I should also mention to some extent its a numbers game. If a certain amp is capable of outputting 250 watts at 8 ohms just before clipping, its impossible for it to output 500 watts into 4 ohms because the power supply would not be able to keep up, no matter how stiff, or unless it were regulated (none really are). If however that amp were rated into 8 ohms as 200 watts, that same amp would probably easily be able to double its power to 400 watts into 4 ohms.

So what's more important for a manufacturer to spec? Do they rate that amplifier at 250 watts into 8 ohms and accept that it won't actually double its output into 4 ohms, or do they de-rate the amplifer somewhat at 8 ohms as a 200 watt amp, and be able to brag that it doubles its power into 4 ohms?

So again, it all gets down to marketing, which is way above my pay grade.

You would be correct WardsWeb, I was refering to the SAE 2HP amp, did your friend happen to mention a price?

Back