• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Audio Technica Headphones ATH-M50xBL

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
I recently found a great deal on Amazon for the Audio Technica ATH-M50xBL headphones which was WAY too good to pass up. For some stupid reason, I got these things for less than $130 with free shipping from Prime.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headp ... index.html

Having now spent about 50 hours listening to them powered by various devices, amps, and sources, I can say these are VERY good headphones. The frequency balance is very good, with only a slight boost in the low bass and top treble, but not so much as to make them decidedly "boomy" or "shrill". I have had several hours of nonstop use without experience traditional fatigue and irritation, which is pretty good considering my proclivities.

They are not as efficient as I expected, but everything I plug them into seems to power them well enough. And the multiple cable options, three of which were in the box, were very convenient for me.

The comfort level was surprisingly good. They just perfectly fit over my ears and clamp tightly on my head without causing discomfort where my classes run along my temples. This was great as I have several on ear and over ear headphones which become physically uncomfortable after just a few minutes of wearing them. This is their best attribute, in my opinion, as the tight, comfortable fit isolates outside noise fairly well.

They are not as transparent or accurate as my favorite headphones like the AKG K701 or Shure SE535 I used more than anything else.

After lots of listening, I have decided to take them to work and use them in my cube with my Fiio USB DAC/Amp. They replace my less comfortable Grado SR80 headphones I had been using at work for over a year. I will keep the Grados, but I have always found them too brittle and pushy for my tastes, and they are far from comfortable for me (which is okay at work since I never have time to wear any headphone for more than about 30 minutes at a time).

I recommend you guys check out these Audio Technical headphones as an alternative to the tried and true AKG, Beyer and Sennheiser models.

Flint said:
I got these things for less than $130 with free shipping from Prime.

Tha Amazon price is up almost at $55 since you posted a few hours ago.

Towen7 said:
Flint said:
I got these things for less than $130 with free shipping from Prime.

Tha Amazon price is up almost at $55 since you posted a few hours ago.
Hmmm...

Maybe we should ask Flint to post hyper-negative reviews about products we might want to buy and then have Amazon's ubiquitous spyware react by driving the price down before.

He could embed some coded phrase into the review that would tip us off that he really liked the item. Something like how the product fails to meet even the minimal performance standards laid down by his own Bose unit, or words to that effect.

Jeff

HA!

I'll be honest, I was using the LinkedIn Android phone app to add a new contact and some random coupon for these was on my Linked In Timeline news feed and I followed it which led to my Amazon android app and a "for the next two hours" sort of fire sale. I just took a shot in the dark and hoped it wasn't a scam of some sort and, behold, it worked. By the time I wanted to post something here the coupon wasn't working, so I chose not to say anything.

I think these headphones are worth the $189, or so, they go for now.

I just assumed that you were a trend setter. I know that a Amazon has an adaptive pricing model and with your huge influence overwhelming demand was driving the price upward.

After reading your thoughts on the Audio Technica ATH-M50xBL I'm very intrigued by their sound, not to mention that the blue/brown combo is gorgeous. It looks like you definitely picked them up for a great deal.

These may be the next headphones I pick up, if I can find some for the right price. Right now, I am loving my AKG Q701's (thanks Zing!) and Fiio E10k combo.

Back